Subscribe Bookmark
danielvalente

Jul 26, 2013

Print-ready graphics from JMP revisited

A few months ago, I published a series of articles about the various ways to get high-quality graphics out of JMP. If you missed them, here are the links:

In the previous video tutorial, I demonstrated how to prepare print-ready graphics in the Encapsulated PostScript (.eps) file format using the Mac OS version of JMP. I wanted a chance to also show the step-by-step tutorial using JMP on Windows, as well as show the 300 DPI output option when saving files in the .tiff, .jpeg, or .png formats, which is new feature introduced in JMP 10.

11 Comments
Community Member

Christiane wrote:

Thanks for posting this. I have read all your previous posts. I am curently using jmp 9 on a windows 7 system. Can you please post a tutorial on how to export .eps files by using the graph builder. In the graph builder jmp only lets me copy the picture I created and does not allow the "save as" option. I believe "copy picture" function does not export in 300 dpi quality because when I want to edit in Adobe Illustrator the resolution is not sufficient. Can I get 300 dpi resolution graphics out of the graph builder with my current jmp version?

Daniel Valente wrote:

Hi Christiane -

The best way to do this is the following:

1) Create your plot in graph builder.

2) Select the part of the graph that your would like to include in your print graphic (remove the 'Graph Builder' title for example).

3) Journal the results (ctrl-j on Windows).

4) Choose File->Save As->.eps file

5) Opent the .eps file in Illustrator.

6) This will be a vector image now that can be scaled to the final size file you need, at the correct resolution (in your case, 300 dpi).

Let me know if this works for you!

-Dan

Community Member

Christiane wrote:

Hi Daniel,

thank you so much for this! I had troubles finding the "save as" feature in the journal window because it is a bit hidden as a drop down in Jmp 9. Now that you posted this I went searching for it and well it works and I can proceed with my analysis now!

Cheers

Christiane

Community Member

Glen wrote:

Is it possible to export the surface profile graphs (from factor profiling) as eps files? They only contain the border and legend, but not the actual graph when I follow this method.

Arati Korwar wrote:

Hi, Glen. I checked with some JMP developers and they say that the platforms that use OpenGL, like Surface Profiler, Surface Plot and 3-D Scatterplot will not export to EPS.

Community Member

Glen wrote:

Thanks for checking - I will try to make the figure big enough so that the TIF output has sufficient resolution.

Community Member

Peter wrote:

Hi Glen, in absence of vector options for graphs like the scatterplot 3d could you advise on how to manually define the DPI for the bitmap saving option?

300 DPI is clumsey and sometime isn't enough even if you take the compensatory route of making the window gigantic.

I'm sure this bugs many people - I've wasted over an hour of googling and forum reading/searching for answer to this problem.

Best regards,

Peter

Community Member

Martin Demel wrote:

Hi Peter, here is a newer reference on exporting graphics: https://community.jmp.com/docs/DOC-6739

there is also mentioned a script to set the dpi to any value you like (besides the 300dpi option in the preferences):

----

Changing the Default Resolution for Bitmap Images

1. In JMP, go to File > New > Script.

2. Type the following code in this window: pref(Save Image DPI(600));

3. Right-click, and select Run Script.

This will change the default for all saved graphics to 600 (or whatever number you plug into the parentheses) until you change the default.

----

Cheers, Martin

Community Member

Tom wrote:

I have created an area plot where I overlay two different distributions, and I have set each distribution to a transparent level of 0.5

When I save my plot as a .eps file, the distributions are no longer transparent when I open them using Adobe Illustrator.

Why does this happen and how I can ensure my distributions will be transparent when I open my graph in Illustrator?

Thanks

Tom

Daniel Valente wrote:

Hello Tom -- .eps does not get saved with an alpha channel, so any transparency in your JMP graph is lost. You can try .emf as the output format, which will preserve the transparency you set in JMP.

Staff

Xan Gregg wrote:

EPS does not support transparency (it's that old!), but there is an extension to it called pdfmark that does. Unfortunately not many products support pdfmark, not even Adobe Illustrator. JMP writes its EPS output in such a way that it uses the pdfmark extension if it is present. The only product I've seen that supports it is Adobe Distiller, and only then if you replace

/AllowTransparency false

with

/AllowTransparency true

in the .joboptions settings file. But if you're using Distiller, which converts to PDF, you're probably better off exporting to PDF from JMP.