Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Having trouble moving from JMP 8 to 9

Hi,

I am a new user to JMP but my company has recently migrated from JMP 8 to JMP 9 and now the scripts that I have been using are no longer working.  These scripts mostly just pull data from our database and parse and graph the reslults.  I am not getting any kind of error when I run the scrips a blank journal just pops up and nothing happens.  I'm not sure what changed between 8 and 9 but any advise on the subject would be appreciated.

Thank you

11 REPLIES
pmroz

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

One thing that I found is that I had to add statements telling JMP what the current table is.  Somehow the assumptions made in JMP 8 were different in JMP 9.  I.e.

current data table(my_table);

Try highlighting sections of the script and running them piecemeal with CTRL-R to isolate the error.

djhanson

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

JMP 9 produces a duplicate chart every time I run JSL I wrote in JMP 8 (in this case it should produce a single chart).  Something has changed in their JSL logic for sure as my code did not change.  Needless-to-say, I'm not migrating to JMP 9 until some things like this are fixed or JMP can figure out why.  JMP 8 works flawlessly.  ..dj

XanGregg

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

I haven't heard about a duplicate chart issue. Do you have a small example you can share?

djhanson

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

Unfortunately, the JSL code I'm producing is too intricate to post here.  But to summarize, I'm making a single variability chart within an OutlineBox (that is actived using a Buttonbox).  In JMP8, this produced a single chart as desired.  In JMP9, the exact same code produces two, identical charts not as desired.  Same code, same everything.  JMP9 bug.  I'm going to try to dig into this but I'm not looking forward to this.  It was bad enough just trying to get this all to work in JMP8, let alone unknown changes that JMP9 may invoke.  --dj

Jeff_Perkinson

Community Manager

Jun 23, 2011

I believe I know what's going on for you.

Do you have a For() loop, or other non-display box element inside your OutlineBox()?

If so, JMP 9 does, indeed, have a bug that is causing JMP to evaluate the contents of the OutlineBox more than once and you end up with duplicate display elements.

This will be fixed in a maintenance release shortly. Our apologies for the difficulty.

-Jeff
djhanson

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

Thanks Jeff.  That does happen to be my case, that is I have some For() loops within display boxes for charting purposes. 

That would be great if there's a fix for this (as I'm having to convert my JMP8 scripts into JMP9).  Question: is the maintenance upgrade in JMP 9.0.3 or some other fix?  thx... dj

The fix will be available in the 9.0.3 maintenance release, coming out within the next two weeks.

djhanson

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

Super!  Look forward to testing my application out in 9.0.3.  I definitely narrowed it down to what Jeff stated: in 9.0.2 display boxes, For () loops do not seem to work correctly...well that is it seems like they get stuck and that maybe the display box is double evaluating itself or something like that?  In this case, I am using a For () loop to clear/refresh list box's menu entries that drive a chart's filtering.  This display box For() loop worked perfectly in 8.0.2, though.  Here's an example:

name_box1 = ListBox(list1,width(125),nlines(3),max selected(1),

//For loop to clear/refresh any previously selected entries

For(r=1,r<=N Items(name_box1<<get items),r++,name_box1<<set selected(r)); //select all menu items
    name_box1<<remove selected; //remove all menu items

name_box1<<append(list1); //refresh all menu items

),

In the meantime, I'm going to try to substitute the For () loop refreshing with a <<get selected then <<set selected (x, 0) and <<set selected (x, 1) combo (clear and set).  This approach might work as well.

--dj

djhanson

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

Quick update: using the <<get selected and <<set selected approach noted above did work fine for refreshing my List Box menu's.  Here's an example:

name_box1 = ListBox(list1,width(125),nlines(3),max selected(1),

//Get and clear any selected items

choice1 = name_box1<<get selected indices;

name_box1<<set selected(Max(choice1),0);

),

But my other issue is that I have loops within other List Boxes that simply cannot be substituted like the above example (i.e. they loop for other reasons that refreshing the List Box contents).  So for testing purposes, I tried substituting a While () loop for my For () loops within my List Boxes (9.0.2).  Still had the same issues, that is the List Box script containing the loop statement continuously loops forever (which it never did in 8.0.2).  You can see this effect in the open Log window. 

So my converting of JMP8 scripts to JMP9 (9.0.2) has come to a screeching halt.  I will need to wait for JMP9 (9.0.3) and I am hoping very much that it fixes all of these 9.0.2 display box (List Box) issues.  If 9.0.3 doesn't fix these issues, I may be forced to completely remove JMP menu's, which is one of the main benefits to use JMP for these app's.  ..dj