cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
asj
asj
Level II

Input a single value to multiple selected cells in data table at once (excel CTRL+enter equivalent)

Hi all,
I was wondering if there is a good way to enter a single value (such as "1") into all cells which I have selected in a data table. In Excel you would do this by pressing CTRL+enter after setting the value for the cells.
The workaround I'm using is to write the value in notepad, select the value, copy it to clipboard and in JMP data table on top of selected cells click "paste". This just does not feel right.

My use case is labelling data groups: I have a visualization open in graph explorer. I select a population from the graph, and want to insert a population ID number onto a new column in the data table, then select another population and set its population ID and so on...

(using JMP 18).

Thanks for help!

5 REPLIES 5
jthi
Super User

Re: Input a single value to multiple selected cells in data table at once (excel CTRL+enter equivalent)

Name Selection in Column could be enough

jthi_0-1714910852135.png

You can also access it from right click on graph builder

jthi_1-1714910882655.png

I have also made a wish list item to make it more "useful" Allow Name Selection In Column be used for multiple selections

-Jarmo
txnelson
Super User

Re: Input a single value to multiple selected cells in data table at once (excel CTRL+enter equivalent)

Jarmo's response is a good way to handle this.  I will many times use a different approach.  I place into the paste buffer the value I want repeated, then is I simply use CNTL/V  the paste buffer value will be copied to all selected cells.

Jim
asj
asj
Level II

Thanks @jthi - this answer (+ your add-in) is exactly what I was looking for!

Byron_JMP
Staff

I do this fairly often.

First copy the value you want to paste into the clipboard, (select the number, Ctrl+c to copy)

Then select all the places you want it to go and do Ctrl+v

JMP Systems Engineer, Health and Life Sciences (Pharma)
hogi
Level XI

If you have a specific list of labels, you could also use the want tool in the QuickSelect Toolbar.

no need to find the data table ... just select the data points/rows, click on the wand icon and select the label from list - or use your own label:

hogi_0-1715022051480.png

another benefit: you can specify multiple labels for one and the same row
existing labels in the row will not be overwritten.
Name Selection in Column: could be my favorite tool :) if ...