Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Specify Location of Column Headers and Data in Excel?

laural

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

I have a lot of data in Excel files. I would like to open them into JMP directly, but the column headers are on line 3 and the data starts on line 4. Using the best guess doesn't cut it. Is there any way to do this via a script?
3 REPLIES
louv

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

I was able to do this by saving my excel file as a text delimited file and then using the open text Data with Preview to specify what row my column names were on and what row that my data begins. Alternatively I could use the preferences to set my Text Import preferences if all files had the same characteristics.
gh

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

I write a lot of scripts that have to use Excel data. I use the following workaround:

dt0 = Open( "data.xls");
// column labels in 4th row
labelrow = 4;
For( i = 1, i [less than]= N Col( Fdt0 ), i++,
:Column( i ) << set name( :Column( i )[labelrow] )
);
Fdt0 << delete Rows( 1 :: labelrow );

(message gets cut off when I use < above - bit of a problem for including JSL :( )

All of the columns are this way imported as character, which is actually good because I find often in excel apparently numeric columns will contain some characters (eg people love to add * or < to numbers), which would import as missing values if the column was recognised as numeric.

Cheers, Gunter

Message was edited by: GH

Message was edited by: GH
laural

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

This works great. I just wanted to let people know that the Labelrow may depend whether the excel files import option for "Should Row 1 be Labels?" is set for Always or Best Guess versus Never.

Thanks, GH.