Subscribe Bookmark
arati_mejdal

Staff

May 21, 2014

Projects in JMP 7

One of the exciting new features in JMP 7 is the addition of Projects. For quite some time now, many of our users have been suggesting that JMP should provide some kind of mechanism that would allow them to collect all their data, documents, reports, etc. together in a single "logical container." With the advent of JMP 7, we've finally addressed this request by introducing Projects, and we anticipate that they will prove to be extremely useful to our users.

This article will discuss the use of JMP projects and project archive files. We will focus on the Windows version of JMP. (Although JMP project archive files can be opened by both the Macintosh and Linux versions of JMP, these two hosts don't yet have a GUI for displaying projects.)

To get started with creating a project, you simply select the "Projects" command from the View menu:

(Click to view full size image)

This causes the Projects Window to appear docked on the left-hand side of the main window.

If you click on the inverted red triangle at the top of the Projects window, a popup menu appears that allows you to either create a New Project or Open an existing one. (This menu is also available by clicking in the empty display area of the Projects Window with your right mouse button.)

Let's suppose you create a new project and name it "Current Research." (By default, when you create a new project, it appears in the window with the name "Project1" but you can click on that name and change it to anything you want.)

You can now add almost anything you want to the project. You can add JMP data tables, journals, scripts and even JMP report windows. You can add any kind of document, such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files, Outlook email, graphics files, etc. In addition, a project can contain database queries and even links to websites. It is also possible to add folders that exist on your hard drive or on a network server to your project. JMP represents the contents of your project in a tree structure within the Projects Window.

JMP allows you to organize your project by providing you with the ability to create Groups within the project itself. In the example shown below, we've created two groups within our project called "For Publication" and "Data." We added a Word document to the "For Publication" group and some JMP data tables to the "Data" group. It's easy to add a document to your project (or to a group): simply click on the node in the tree that represents your project (or group) with your right mouse button and select the "Add Document" command from the resulting popup menu. You will be presented with the standard "Browse" dialog, allowing you to find the desired file. Once you've found it, select it and click the "Open" button; this will add the file to your project.

You can also add a file to your project using "drag and drop" in two different ways. (1) If you are also using the File System toolbar (if you're unfamiliar with this toolbar, which is also new in JMP7, please consult my blog entry on that topic) then you can left-mouse click on the node for that file in the File System toolbar, and while holding down the mouse, drag it over to the Projects window, hover over a project node or a group node in the tree, and release your mouse. This "drops" the file into your project. (2) If you are using the Windows Explorer to locate your file, you can right-click on the file, and then "drag and drop" it into your project.

Next, we ran an analysis on our Fitness data which produced a report window. To add that report window to our project, we added a "Reports" group to the project, right-clicked on the the "Reports" group node in the project tree, and selected the "Add Window" command from the popup menu. JMP presented us with a dialog that listed all our currently open JMP windows and we selected the "Fitness - Fit Least Squares" window from the list. At this point, our project looks like this:

You can also add a window to your project by using the Window List toolbar, which was introduced in JMP 6. Simply left-mouse click on the node representing the window in the Window List toolbar, and then "drag and drop" it into your project.

You can save your project at any time by right-clicking on the node representing the project in the tree and selecting the "Save" command from the popup menu. JMP will present you with the standard "Save As" dialog, allowing you to navigate to the location where you wish to store your project. The project will be saved with a "JMPPRJ" file extension. Note that a JMPPRJ file is really a Zip file -- hence, if you're curious about what's inside your project, you can always examine it outside of JMP by using a tool such as WinZip.

In our case, our project was saved in a file named "Current Research.jmpprj".

In a future JMP session, you can re-open your project in one of two ways: (1) by selecting the "Projects" command from the View menu and then selecting the "Open Project" command from the inverted red triangle menu or (2) by using JMP's "File Open" dialog (if you choose this method, then after you've selected the "Open" command from the File menu and are presented with the "Open Data File" dialog, choose the "JMP Project" file type from the "Files of type:" combo box in order to see your project archive files).

When your project is re-opened, unless you deliberately turned off the option to "Restore all windows when project is opened" you will discover that all the documents, data tables, report windows, etc. that are contained in your project are automatically re-opened for you. (To turn off this option, right-click on the project node and uncheck the "Restore all windows when project is opened" command in the popup menu.)

When you save a project, by default JMP will only save links to the documents (including data files) you've added to your project. If you want JMP to actually save all the documents that are referenced by your project, then you must turn on the "Archive all files and folders when project is saved" option by right-clicking on the project node and selecting this option from the resulting popup menu. If you do this, then when you save your project, JMP will archive all the documents (including data files) that your project tree references inside the JMPPRJ archive file.

If you subsequently re-open your project in a later JMP session, JMP will extract all the files that were included in the JMPPRJ archive and deposit them in a "Dependencies" directory. JMP will modify all the links in the project itself to point to the files in the "Dependencies" directory. Hence at that point, if you modify, say, a Word document that's included in your project, you will be modifying the copy that exists in the archive's "Dependencies" directory and not the original that may or may not still exist elsewhere on your computer.

5 Comments
Community Member

Srini Ganapathy wrote:

I recently inherited a project from a colleague. We had to archive a whole folder and unzip it. As a result I inherited a whole bunch of dependency folders (mapping back to empty folders to her machine). How do I create a project without all those dependencies (by making all the files in one single folder)?

I will perhaps recreate a folder with all the JRPs and data files in one folder to prevent this from happening another time.

Appreciate any inputs.

Community Member

KA wrote:

Folks

One way to save all tables and charts in a single file is to use the 'save script to data table' option. You can find this by clicking the red triangle at the top left of each chart you want to save under the sub-heading 'script'. This saves the script for creating the chart to the data table itself. Now save the data table as a .JMP file as usual. When you open the file again, you can recreate the charts by selecting the script and then 'run'.

Community Member

Yacheer wrote:

Me too!! This is the only reason that I have to give up JMP. Save many windows in to separate files is reeeeeeeeeeally annoying!

But unfortunately, I still see no improvement in JMP 8 on this.

Community Member

Ricky wrote:

!!!

When I created a dataset, and did some analysis (plotted several graphs), is there any way that I can save "all things" in one file.

It is very very very annoying that JMP asks me to save each window to a single file. If I tried different methods (plots), there will be many files!! Which is very difficult to organize. More seriously, I have to name each window, otherwise, all files will just be untiled 1, untitled2 ,...

I really need to save the current windows, plots, everything, (not the "save session" , it is far from enough), into one file. I hope that next time I open this file, everything I have done before are there, so that I can continue my analysis.

In doing so, I can also press "save" in the middle to save my work, but don't need to save any middle work into separate files.

In minitab, there is just ONE FILE to hold everything. I can delete windows and datasheets.

Really really hope JMP can have this feature. Otherwise, this will be the only reason that I have to give up JMP.

Please!

If you have any reply, please send it to my email address.

Thanks!

Community Member

olive gumikiriza wrote:

want to use SPSS

Article Tags