Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed
jmarquardt

Staff

Jul 21, 2014

A year-in-review with analytics thought leaders

This year on Analytically Speaking we featured a research scientist from Los Alamos National Laboratory, the creator of the MinutePhysics YouTube channel, a former president of the Royal Statistical Society, and one of the most prominent leaders in design of experiments. Despite the wide range of expertise featured on the show, we heard recurring themes in our conversations.

In this year-in-review webcast, we’ve compiled some of the highlights. Here’s a preview:

Collaborating with subject-matter experts

Anderson-Cook5x7.png

“One of the things I’ve learned is that we all have blind spots. And so, a lot of times those blind spots come from being overly familiar with the material that we have.  As statisticians, no one is expecting us to know the details of all of the different subject matter areas that we’re interacting with experts, and so it’s a really good opportunity to question some fundamental things.”

– Christine Anderson-Cook, Los Alamos National Laboratory

The hard choices every analyst must make

Hand, David 2014 5x7.jpg

“Robert Millikan, the guy who measured the charge on the electron, if you look at some of his papers, he discarded some of his data.  He included data – as he said – because it seemed to match the other data points, and didn’t include others which didn’t. So, get it right and you can get a Nobel Prize. Get it wrong and you’re in jail for fraud.”

– David J. Hand, The Improbability Principle

The golden age of design of experiments

Montgomery, Douglas 5x7.jpg

“You can do most of the things that I’ve talked about in JMP.  This makes design of experiments incredibly accessible to the scientist and engineer, which is what I’ve been working on trying to figure out how to do for my whole career – is how to get engineers to be smarter experimenters.  They’re already smart people, but I want them to be smarter experimenters.”

– Douglas Montgomery, Arizona State University

Appreciating new analytic methods

Jason Brinkley 5x7.jpg

“We’re finding that tools that work well here would also work really well over here. And there’s a lot of attention, a lot of light being focused on these and now is the best time to start diversifying that toolkit.”

– Jason Brinkley, American Institutes for Research

Communicating about statistics

henry-reich-youtube 5x7.jpg

“I like to go in with the assumption that the audience, the people I’m talking to, are very, very smart, they just don’t particularly know some of the technical details of this field…It’s very different to make something that doesn’t have jargon, but is still the same material and just simplify it.  The explanation should be simple, but you shouldn’t be simplifying the subject.”

– Henry Reich, MinutePhysics YouTube channel

Join us for the full webcast, Wednesday, Dec. 14, at 1 p.m. ET

Article Tags