Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed
arati_mejdal

Staff

May 21, 2014

Preview of Hands-On Workshops in Seattle

If you're a JMP user in the Seattle area, you have the chance to attend one of two hands-on Mastering JMP workshops. The dates are June 28 and 29, and seats are very limited. So don't miss this opportunity to improve your JMP skills.

Monica Beals is one of the instructors for the Seattle workshops. She has been teaching JMP since 2007, and using it since 2001 (student version 4). She has a PhD in ecology and evolutionary biology and a Master’s degree in statistics.

The two Seattle workshops will be her 17th and 18th Mastering JMP workshops. She says all levels of JMP users come to the hands-on workshops: "We’ve had people who have never used JMP and people who have been using JMP for years, and everywhere in between."

Arati: What will you cover in your presentation?

Monica: My portions of the presentation will include a demonstration of data exploration and examples of the capabilities of the JMP Scripting Language, as well as an overview of some of the unique features of JMP and JSL. My presentations will also showcase the JMP Training program – both portions are either modeled on, or taken directly from, our training materials, to give participants a sense of what our more formal training classes are like.

Arati: Can you give us a sneak preview of your part of the workshop?

Monica: My data exploration presentation begins with a data table with over 950,000 rows. By the end, we reduce it to a data table with 16 rows of interest, which is what a lot of our users have to do: extract the relevant information from massive amounts of data. Even with smaller data sets, the information they contain is not always apparent from the start, and the same techniques and tools can be applied. JMP makes it easy to explore and reveal the information contained in your data. Here is a screen capture of a graph created midway through the presentation, representing about 3,100 rows, that is used to further drill down into the data.

Arati: What’s your favorite tip to share about JMP?

Monica: One thing I think a lot of people aren’t aware of is the fact that you can store a numeric value as a table variable and use it in a formula. That way, you can easily see what the value is in the table panel, rather than having to open the formula editor, and if you use the value in multiple formulas and need to change it, it’s a simple matter of editing the table variable instead of editing each individual formula. I show an example of doing this with currency exchange rates in my presentation.

Arati: What do you like about teaching hands-on workshops?

Monica: I think people learn best by doing, so the hands-on workshops are really useful for both new and experienced users. Like the JMP Training courses, the workshops allow a lot of interaction among the participants and the presenters, and that informal atmosphere is a great opportunity for questions and discussion. Also, since the participants are typically from many different industries and backgrounds, there are a lot of different perspectives, insights and ideas that can be shared.

Arati: What do you hope people will walk away with at the end of the day?

Monica: I hope people come away from these workshops with not only a sense of the enormous possibilities of JMP, but with inspiration to explore how they can put JMP to use. In every Mastering JMP workshop I’ve taught, there seems to be at least one “a-ha” moment for everyone – even the experienced users – when they see a new way to do something or a different approach to solving a problem.

Arati: What are your favorite features of JMP?

Monica: Having JMP write scripts that will recreate an analysis or graph, the integration of data between the data table and graphical output, the journal, the formula editor… I could go on…

Article Tags