Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed
John_Powell_JMP

May 30, 2014

Interactive HTML: Points, box plots and more for Graph Builder

This is a continuation of a series of blog posts on interactive HTML for Graph Builder reports in JMP 13. Here, I'm discussing support for Points, Box Plots, Heat Maps and Map Shapes. These Graph Builder elements are highlighted in the figure below.

toolbar-2Since this blog post describes interactive web pages output from JMP, images and animations below were captured from a web browser.

Points exist in many graphs in JMP where you can customize the point color, shape, and size, usually by opening a dialog box. Graph Builder’s drag-and-drop interface makes it easy to create colorful graphs with points of all shapes and sizes. The example below using Diamonds Data from the sample data library in JMP sets the following point attributes:

•  Size based on the Table column data
  •  Color based on the Depth column data
  •  Shape based on the Clarity column data

In addition to these attributes, Price versus Cut and grouping by Carat Weight was employed to understand what influences diamond prices the most. Of course, JMP provides capabilities that specifically target this question, but that’s a topic for another blog post.

DiamondsPointsThis combination of attributes made supporting Graph Builder point plots in Interactive HTML challenging because there are now more ways to determine the size, shape and color of each point. The challenge was increased additionally by the fact that each point in Graph Builder can represent a statistical summary of multiple rows of data.

In the following Interactive HTML example, each point represents diamonds of a given Cut and Clarity. Although the legend is rearranged, the shape and color are still determined by Clarity and Depth respectively. To  accentuate the difference between the diamonds' Table dimensions, a column transform named Relative Table was used in the Size role rather than the raw Table column data.

DiamondsPointsMeanBox Plots

The summarized points above may provide too little information and the raw points may be too busy, so how about a compromise using box plots? In the graph below, we see the distribution of prices for each Cut, Clarity, and Carat Weight combination. The legend was moved to the bottom and drawn horizontally to match the arrangement of box plots in each group.

DiamondsBoxPlotsHeat Maps

So far, it might be difficult to see what influences diamond prices the most. We’ve only covered three of the four C’s in diamond quality. So, here’s a heat map including all four. Maybe now it’s easier to make some conclusions.

DiamondsHeatMapAdding support for heat maps in Graph Builder gave us a bonus outside of Graph Builder: The Uplift graph in the Uplift Platform is now interactive and can display X Factors and X/Y ranges.

UpliftMap Shapes

Map shapes can be used in Graph Builder for location-based data, like population data. Grouping can help the viewer focus on one region at a time. With the ‘Show Missing Shapes’ option enabled, the region of interest can be seen in context of the whole country.

CanadaPopulationByReagionMap Shapes can be scaled according to a size variable (Population) while being colored by another variable (Vegetable Consumption).

SizedMapCombinations

To see that some of the interactive power of JMP is available in Interactive HTML, it helps to interact with combined graphs. In JMP, this can be accomplished with Combined Windows, Application Builder, or Dashboard Builder. Below are some combination examples using the graph types described above.

This example explores Crime data with a Heat Map and geographical Map Shapes.

CrimeHeatMapsLinkedSelectionThe following example uses Points, Box Plots, a Heat Map, and a custom Map Shape to explore office temperatures.

OfficeDashboardOne new feature for Points and Map Shapes in Interactive HTML is the ability to display images in tooltips.

ImagesInTips2Note that these are all just animations. You can interact with the Interactive HTML files shown in this blog at a page we created for this purpose. Let us know what you think!

2 Comments
Community Member

Chad wrote:

Dear John,

Thank you for sharing these examples. Would it be possible to

describe the process for creating the heat maps and the rich tool-tips

in a little more detail so they can be replicated?

John Powell wrote:

To create the diamond data heat map, I applied the Color column to the Y role, Cut to the X role, and Price to the Color role.

Then I applied Clarity to the X group role and Carat Weight to the Y group role.

I set the number of levels in the Y group to 3.

I customized the Gradient Settings to used a Green Gradient and enabled Discrete Colors.

When you say "rich tool-tips", I think you might be referring to the planet's example with images in the tool-tips.

For this example, I built a data table with a Picture column containing images of each planet. I used "internet open" to gather data an images from the internet and some cutting an pasting to merge all into a single table. I might have saved some effort if I used Virtual Join.

I applied Maximum Surface Temperature to the Y role, Distance from the Sun to the X Role, Number of Moons to the Color role and Equatorial Radius Squared to the Size role.

Roles are automatically added to the tool-tip. To add other columns, all you need to do is set the columns to be labeled. If a labeled column happens to have a picture in it, it will appear in the tool-tip. Before saving as Interactive HTML, I pinned the tool-tips for Earth and Saturn and added a custom text line to Earth's pinned tip.

I hope that was the level of detail you were looking for.