Subscribe Bookmark
Paul_Nelson

Staff

Nov 10, 2016

Installing JMP Linux on Debian based systems (Ubuntu, Debian...)

Several users have asked, "How can I install JMP Linux on Ubuntu, Debian, ..."

JMP 7 and the upcoming JMP 8 Linux installers are RPM based. This provides a challenge for Debian based Linux users.

What follows is the installation method to install JMP Linux on a Debian based system. Instead of using the jmp-setup program, the .rpm files have to be directly unpacked. The only problem with this method, is that it cannot warn about missing library dependencies on your system. We have tried very hard to depend on as little as possible, but that still could be an issue.

These instructions are ASSUMING the JMP install files are in /tmp/jmp7 ( if copied to a different location, replace as appropriate) The following is an example of installing 32-bit JMP 7.0.1 shrink-wrap. If different, substitute the appropriate rpm file names.

Logging in as root or becoming root from a terminal window

su -

cd /

rpm2cpio /tmp/jmp7/jmp-setup-1.2-3.i686.rpm | cpio --extract --make-directories

rpm2cpio /tmp/jmp7/jmp-base-7.0.1-i686.rpm | cpio --extract --make-directories

rpm2cpio /tmp/jmp7/jmp-lang-enUS-7.0.1-1.noarch.rpm | cpio --extract --make-directories

Similarly unpack any of the foreign language support files needed.

This will unpack the files into

opt/SAS/JMP7

Which is why the commands need to be run as root from the / directory so that JMP is

installed into /opt/SAS/JMP7

The last step that the installer performs is to append to the bottom of /etc/ld.so.conf the entry

/opt/SAS/JMP7/lib

or

/opt/SAS/JMP7/lib64

based on whether 32-bit JMP or 64-bit JMP is being installed. This is because we supply a version of libcurl.so that JMP uses if libcurl cannot be found already present on the system.

then,

ldconfig

Adding JMP's library directory to the system search path. The installer copies the original to a ld.so.conf.cya, then the new file is created as ld.so.conf.tmp. Once that is complete, the installer does a

mv ld.so.conf.tmp ld.so.conf

Installing by unpacking the RPM files bypasses the jmp-setup install program. Since no RPM database entries are created, updates will need to be done using this same method. Also, the jmp-setup program will not be able to uninstall JMP for the same reason. In this case just remove /opt/SAS/JMP7 and its sub-directories.

JMP 7 does have at least one hard coded path internally which assumes /opt/SAS/JMP7 as the installation directory. As a result if JMP7 is moved to another directory, there may be issues with locating help files. This issue has been fixed for JMP8.

7 Comments
Community Member

Paul Nelson wrote:

The most recent versions of Ubuntu do not have the rpm2cpio program availiable, making it more of a hassle to unpack. Either rpm2cpio needs to be brought to the Ubuntu systems, (I am aware of at least 1 perl script that performs rpm2cpio), or unpacking the rpm file needs to be done on an rpm based system such as OpenSUSE, Fedora or Red Hat, then copied back to the Debian based system. The 8.0.2 version of JMP's install was rewritten so that the LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set in a shell script, which is now used to launch JMP There is no longer a need to edit the system's ld.so.conf file.

Sadly the Linux version of JMP has been discontinued. There will be no JMP 9 for Linux. MacOSX and Windows are the only supported operating systems for JMP 9.

Community Member

Jorgen wrote:

This is the instructions basically copied and pasted from the JMP Linux user manual for version 6.2. That's why it's not working beyond a certain point. Not sure who Paul nelson is, no offense, but we need someone that is directly involved in Linux programming, we can read manuals ourselves.

Community Member

Thomas wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to install the trial version of JMP8 on Ubuntu. Since i am a Bedǵinner with Linux, the maual to install JMP is a bit to cryptic for me. I just got as far as unpacking the files....Could someone please help me with the installation maybe by translating the manual into Version for dummies...would be great

ld.so.conf:

Do I have to insert.

/opt/SAS/JMP8/lib AND

ld config

into the *.txt-file??

How do I add JMP's library directory (what is it called?) ind th system search path.....

Community Member

Verena wrote:

JMP doenst start but this warning is displayed:

Warning: Localized String file locale not found. Reverting to English locale string file.XSTR file not found /opt/SAS/JMP7/Support Files German REsources/JMP.xstr

What can I do to resolve this problem?

Thanks!

Verena

Community Member

Paul Nelson wrote:

If you are having troubles, please contact SAS technical support. That is the appropriate forum for resolving activation issues.

The serial number field ONLY supports serial numbers valid for the particular version. There is input keystroke validation. A JMP 6 serial number will not work for 7, or 8 just as a JMP 7 serial number will not work for 8. (The keystroke will not be accepted if it does not start with the correct first letter for the version of JMP).

Community Member

parm randhawa wrote:

following the above procedure jmp installs okay on the ubuntu 8.10. However at the jmp activation screen, it does not take any characters for the serial number. must be some issues with libcurl. all other buttons on that screen work fine. use Proxy field can take the characters.

> jmp

Resetting menu font to: Luxi Sans size: 9

the above message is displayed before the jmp activation screen comes up.

Community Member

Anonymous wrote:

it works fine till you reach the point of entering the serial number. The page comes up, asking for the serial number, but you cannot type in the serial number. all the other buttons work. it must be the error in the template.

Article Tags