Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed
rainbow_zhou

Staff

Jul 21, 2014

Discovery Summit China focuses on global trends in data analysis

Feng-Bin Sun of Tesla delivers a keynote speech at Discovery Summit China.

Feng-Bin Sun of Tesla delivers a keynote speech at Discovery Summit China.

About 200 experts, analysts, and JMP users and fans from all trades and professions gathered in Shenzhen for Discovery Summit China 2016.

The conference focused on the latest global trends in data analysis and its application.

Attendees came from government, banking, automotive, pharmaceutical, energy, semiconductor, electronic and public service organizations, to name a few. The annual analytics event took place at the Four Seasons Hotel in Shenzhen on April 29.

The day began with three keynote talks, featuring:

• SAS co-founder and Executive Vice President John Sall on the JMP story. The JMP creator detailed the design and evolution of the software over 27 years, from release 1 to release 12, and noted that JMP 13 will be out in September.
  • Feng-Bin Sun of Tesla on data analysis in high-tech product research and development. He provided an overview of data analysis trends as seen in leading companies and examples featuring product reliability.
  • Author Kaiser Fung on why numbersense is a priceless asset in data science. He likened the data analysis process to running an obstacle course full of trapdoors, dead ends and diversions, explaining why the best analysts have a keen sense of direction as they navigate data.

Experienced JMP users led breakout sessions on the following topics:

• Statistical modeling in crop research.
  • Continuous improvement in data analysis.
  • Producing China’s first integrated circuit package substrate.
  • Multiple correspondence analysis.
  • Design of experiments in high-tech.
  • Groundbreaking virtual product packaging.

During those presentations and in question-and-answers sessions, summit attendees participated in thorough and lively discussions about global trends in data analysis and its application, as well as best practices in data analysis and data-driven decision making.
John Sall (center) answers questions during an Ask the Experts session. John Sall (center) answers questions during an Ask the Experts session.

During the Ask the Experts sessions, attendees spoke one-on-one time with JMP developers to learn tips and tricks, see demonstrations of new or unfamiliar features, and offer suggestions for upcoming versions of the software.

Comments from attendees reflected the high quality of the presentations and deep interest in JMP. "This is a great event, I've learned a lot from  presenters," said Wendy Yang from Dow Chemical. Ying Zhang from BUCM said, "I did not know that JMP could be so excellent for statistical education, and I will consider using JMP when writing dissertations.” Chongfa Yang from Hainan University called the conference "one of the best data analysis events I've ever attended."

Those who wanted an opportunity to go in-depth and hands-on with JMP for design of experiments (DOE) and predictive modeling attended pre-conference training at Shenzhen University.

"I have gained a lot from the training course and meetings during the past few days,” said attendee Liangqing Zhu, from Cargill. “I feel more confident to encourage my colleagues to love data analysis."

The day concluded with a Chinese-style feast and entertainment.

The third annual conference in China will take place in Beijing in 2017.
John Sall talks about The Design of JMP in his keynote speech.

John Sall talks about The Design of JMP in his keynote speech.

Kaiser Fung explains why "numbersense" is priceless in his keynote talk.

Kaiser Fung explains why "numbersense" is priceless in his keynote talk.

Jianfeng Ding talks with attendees during an Ask the Experts session.

Jianfeng Ding talks with attendees during an Ask the Experts session.
Kaiser Fung signs copies of his book during the one-day analytics conference

Kaiser Fung signs copies of his book during the one-day analytics conference. Like all Discovery Summit conferences, this one was highly interactive.

Like all Discovery Summit conferences, this one was highly interactive.
The evening entertainment included Chinese opera.

The evening entertainment included opera.