Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
DamionSparhawk
Community Trekker

Splitting things up into project

Hello everyone,

Got another brain teaser, I'm not even sure really where to begin with this one.

Step 1: I have a spreadsheet, I would like to break it up into several different spreadsheets based on the content of the first column (which indicates which tool the data belongs to) Currently I am manually selecting the individual rows with data filter and using the subset function to create a new spreadsheet containing that data. If possible, I would like a script to do this.

Step 2: I recently discovered that as long as the file names are the same I can use the project file I've already made to generate a new project with the data, so it is only important that the file names be generated the same each time (simple as the file names are the tool names in the column)

Step 3: success!

I don't know how to start this code, when I try to create a session script it does not really generate anything useful... If I can get the script just to split the data by tool that would be more than enough, saving them automatically would simply be icing. Thanks in advance!Alarm Logish.PNG

0 Kudos
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Splitting things up into project

There is likely some complexity that I am missing. From the main table choose Tables > Subset. The very top box has a checkbox "Subset by". When you check that you can specify your first column. Clicking OK will give you all of the subset tables.If this is to be scripted, each subset table has a Source script that provides that. If the main table is in a project, then this approach will put both subsets into the same project.

Dan Obermiller

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2

There is likely some complexity that I am missing. From the main table choose Tables > Subset. The very top box has a checkbox "Subset by". When you check that you can specify your first column. Clicking OK will give you all of the subset tables.If this is to be scripted, each subset table has a Source script that provides that. If the main table is in a project, then this approach will put both subsets into the same project.

Dan Obermiller

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DamionSparhawk
Community Trekker

No, apparently I just didn't realize that you could use it in that way, hehe. That works out pretty fantastic actually, now I just need to figure out how to get rid of the column name as part of the naming convention, or rebuild my project, thanks!

0 Kudos