Our World Statistics Day conversations have been a great reminder of how much statistics can inform our lives. Do you have an example of how statistics has made a difference in your life? Share your story with the Community!
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ameliavogler
Staff (Retired)
The weekly status call...Is it really that time again?

Whether it is 10:00 a.m. on Monday morning or 5:00 p.m. on Friday afternoon, that weekly meeting just seems to come pretty quickly doesn't it?

I don't know if it is true for you, but when I begin reporting on something weekly or at any short frequency, I start thinking about how much time it takes to get the presentation that I use each week updated. It's not hard. It's just a little tedious. I open my data, run the analysis, save the file or take a picture of it, and then paste it into my presentation.

Well, my friends, I recently learned better ways (thanks to our brilliant Byron Wingerd and Brady Brady) and decided to make two short videos to illustrate them.

This first video demonstrates how to create a link from a saved report image to a Microsoft Word or PowerPoint Presentation. This is great. After linking the image to your presentation or document, all you have to do is update the image in the directory; after doing so, the image will automatically be updated to the most recent one. Take a peek:

JMP: (Simple) How to Create a Link from Microsoft Word or PowerPoint to a Saved JMP Report Image (1:37)

[iframe title="YouTube video player" width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MYKydJ62jl0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen]

The second video demonstrates a slick extension to this neat little trick. In this video, you will review a script (provided below) that gives you one-click access to a document or presentation that contains a linked image. This way, come Friday afternoon, all you have to do is click one button, and your presentation is updated. Awesome.

JMP: (Advanced) How to Create a Graphic Link and Open a PowerPoint Presentation Automatically (2:49)

[iframe title="YouTube video player" width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SuXqD5-yIkk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen]

Example Script:

//!

names default to here(1);

dt = open("YourDataTableName.jmp", invisible);

obj=Control Chart(Chart Col( :Metric, Individual Measurement ));

Report(obj)[framebox(1)] << Frame Size( 400, 184 );

Report(obj)[axisbox(2)] << {Min( nrows()-50), Max( nrows()+1), Inc(10 ),    Minor Ticks( 0 ), Rotated Labels( "vertical" )};

obj << save picture( "YourImageName.jpg", jpeg );

Close( dt, save );//saves the chart wiht the extra rows, this way the ppt slide will be different when its opened the next time

Open("YourPresentationName.pptx"

);

//note: close the ppt before running the script again

//

Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.