Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed
ameliavogler

Staff

Jul 31, 2012

The weekly status call...Is it really that time again?

Whether it is 10:00 a.m. on Monday morning or 5:00 p.m. on Friday afternoon, that weekly meeting just seems to come pretty quickly doesn't it?

I don't know if it is true for you, but when I begin reporting on something weekly or at any short frequency, I start thinking about how much time it takes to get the presentation that I use each week updated. It's not hard. It's just a little tedious. I open my data, run the analysis, save the file or take a picture of it, and then paste it into my presentation.

Well, my friends, I recently learned better ways (thanks to our brilliant Byron Wingerd and Brady Brady) and decided to make two short videos to illustrate them.

This first video demonstrates how to create a link from a saved report image to a Microsoft Word or PowerPoint Presentation. This is great. After linking the image to your presentation or document, all you have to do is update the image in the directory; after doing so, the image will automatically be updated to the most recent one. Take a peek:

JMP: (Simple) How to Create a Link from Microsoft Word or PowerPoint to a Saved JMP Report Image (1:37)

[iframe title="YouTube video player" width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MYKydJ62jl0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen]

The second video demonstrates a slick extension to this neat little trick. In this video, you will review a script (provided below) that gives you one-click access to a document or presentation that contains a linked image. This way, come Friday afternoon, all you have to do is click one button, and your presentation is updated. Awesome.

JMP: (Advanced) How to Create a Graphic Link and Open a PowerPoint Presentation Automatically (2:49)

[iframe title="YouTube video player" width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SuXqD5-yIkk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen]

Example Script:

//!

names default to here(1);

dt = open("YourDataTableName.jmp", invisible);

obj=Control Chart(Chart Col( :Metric, Individual Measurement ));

Report(obj)[framebox(1)] << Frame Size( 400, 184 );

Report(obj)[axisbox(2)] << {Min( nrows()-50), Max( nrows()+1), Inc(10 ),    Minor Ticks( 0 ), Rotated Labels( "vertical" )};

obj << save picture( "YourImageName.jpg", jpeg );

Close( dt, save );//saves the chart wiht the extra rows, this way the ppt slide will be different when its opened the next time

Open("YourPresentationName.pptx"

);

//note: close the ppt before running the script again

//