Subscribe Bookmark
juliagong

Staff

Jun 20, 2016

13 helpful (and lucky) JMP scripting tips

Syntax got your tongue? I've compiled 13 JMP Scripting Language tips that I've found handy while learning JSL syntax:

1. Concatenating strings (see Craige Hales' post on this)

places = {"world", "planet", "globe", "Earth"};

statement = "Hello " || places[2] || "!";

The above code creates the string "Hello planet!"

2. Referring to table column names that have special characters

Let's say your table, dt, has a column named "Prob(Pred)" (probability of prediction). If you reference it as

dt:Prob(Pred)

it won't work. You need to use quotes:

dt:"Prob(Pred)"

3. Referencing a particular file in addin (see PMroz's original solution)

To work with a file contained within your jmpaddin, you should refer to your file as:

"$ADDIN_HOME(com.mycompany.test_addin)\myfile.jmp"

4. Changing Text Box font color, size and type

myText = Text Box(statement, <<Font Color("Blue"), <<JustifyText("center"), <<Set Wrap(80), <<Set Font("Segoe UI", 15));

DemoText

(To center the text in the window, you'll need to add Spacer Boxes on either side of the text in a H List Box -- see tip #12.)

5. Saving a graph/plot in a report as an image (sample data (iris) also seen on discriminant analysis report page)

First, use the point-and-click interface and generate the model you want. After this, click the little red triangle, go to Script > Save Script to Script Window. Don't close your model window yet.

In the new script window, assign the model a name; for example, I can name my discriminant plot discrimGraph:

discrimGraph = Discriminant([...generated code...]);

Make this generated model a report:

report = discrimGraph << report;

Go back to your model window, right-click on the graph or figure you want to save, and go to Edit > Show Tree Structure. This will tell you the name of the object you want to grab (often, the HelpKey will guide you to the right box). Here, I want to grab a Frame Box:

reportBox = report[Frame Box(1)];

Finally, if you want to convert reportBox into an image that you can save:

modelImage = reportBox << getPicture();

You now have a variable name attached to the specific graph or plot that you've generated. If you want to save this as an image to your computer:

modelImage << Save Image("C:\Documents\JMP\myImage.png", png);

Often, PNG images look better, but are larger files.

DiscrimBefore

6. Deselecting all rows in a data table

This one is pretty straightforward; select all rows, and invert the selection. This won't affect row markers.

dt << select all rows;

dt << invert row selection;

7. Building a user interface in JMP -- resizing windows

If you want to resize a window to particular dimensions in pixels (note: this includes the outer frame of the window, not just its contents):

win << Set Window Size(width, height);

8. Setting the background color for a graph or plot

I often needed my white-background plots to blend in with the default gray of the display box:

myGraph[framebox(1)] << Set Background Color({0.97255, 0.97255, 0.97255});

The order for the three arguments is R, G, B; remember to convert your desired RGB values from a 0 - 255 scale to a 0 - 1 scale (divide desired value by 255).

DiscrimBefore  DiscrimAfter

9. Discriminant analysis -- removing biplot rays for clarity

In the point-and-click interface of your model, go to the little red triangle > Canonical Options > Show Biplot Rays. If you want the script for removing the biplot rays, now go to Script > Save Script to Script Window, and you'll see the argument that makes this change is

Show Biplot Rays( 0 ),

DiscrimWithoutBiplotRays

10. Building a user interface in JMP -- changing Spacer Box size

Where the first argument is horizontal size, and the second argument is vertical size (both in pixels):

SpacerBox(Size(h, v))

11. Building a user interface in JMP -- auto-resizing spacers

Spacers can auto-adapt in one direction (when window contents change) if you leave out one of the arguments:

SpacerBox(Size(, 1))

12. Building a user interface in JMP -- justifying all boxes in a display tree window

Line Up Box() is your friend. You can use it to align all the given boxes within it:

Line Up Box(

H List Box(Align("center"),

SpacerBox(),

Text Box("Hello, planet!"),

SpacerBox()

),

H List Box(Align("center"),

SpacerBox(),

Button Box("Click me", afterClick()),

SpacerBox()

)

),

DemoText1

13. Scaling/resizing, cropping images

This scales down the image by 50 percent in both dimensions:

myImage << scale(0.5);

This crops the image to the dimensions you want (in pixels):

myImage << crop(left(startingColumn), right(endingColumn), top(startingRow), bottom(endingRow));

I hope these 13 tips will be as lucky for you as they have been for me!

Here are some additional resources that I found very helpful:

• Manipulating DisplaysDisplays, Display Boxes, and Display Trees
  • JMP Scripting Guide
  • Rows and Row States
  • Character Functions
  • One-page JMP Guides
  • Online JMP Scripting Guide Index
  • One more thing: I'll be presenting a poster at Discovery Summit, so if you have a chance, please stop by!