Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Saving Analysis and Graphic Output via Menu Operations

LNitz

Occasional Contributor

Feb 16, 2017

I am planning to teach a basic research methods and statistics course in the social sciences using JMP.  One of the things students will need to do is save their analysis results and format in a  common office processing module, such as Word or Excel.  I have perused a few mechanisms listed on this site, but  all require an edit-copy and then in the destination a paste command.

Is there any way to set an ODS handle for the working session that will take all the output from the on-going sequence of analyses and save them as an appropriate  HTML, XLS or PDF file?  I have a couple of reasons: (1) copying and pasting are inaccurate and begin to create frustration when the table is large; and (2) It is not reasonable to expect the students (who rebel against any use of numbers) to learn the scripting language.

I have set the ODS option in the Files/preferences/sas integration option.  I cannot really see where the output files are stored.   Ideally, I would like students to be able to set a destination in which to save their output, so they can produce reasonable analysis presentations, and not be dependent on possibly mis-remembered sourcing of their figures and result tables.

Am I asking for too much, or have I missed really important issues in the user documentation?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jeff_Perkinson

Community Manager

Jun 23, 2011

Solution

I think you're missing the drop down menu at the top of each report and Journal window.

Check out this blog post to see how to access it.

menuappears-2.gif

-Jeff
4 REPLIES
markbailey

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

You could record any platform in a journal (Edit > Journal or Ctrl/Command-J) and then save it (File > Save As) as a Word document. Have you tried this approach? You can also save reports to a PowerPoint document.

You can include JMP data tables in the journal, too, or export them to an Excel workbook.

Learn it once, use it forever!
LNitz

Occasional Contributor

Feb 16, 2017

Thanks. I can apparently save to a journal with ctrl-j. Once I do
that and highlight the item in the window list, there is no "save as" in
the file menu--it is grayed-out.

If I go to the journal block and expand it, there is also no file/save as
active on the file menu.

I am clearly missing something.
Jeff_Perkinson

Community Manager

Jun 23, 2011

Solution

I think you're missing the drop down menu at the top of each report and Journal window.

Check out this blog post to see how to access it.

menuappears-2.gif

-Jeff
LNitz

Occasional Contributor

Feb 16, 2017

Thank you!  I had no idea where to look.  I can see the utility of squashing out extra menu bars, but the prospect that they were there never entered my mind!   Saving output from the Text Analysis routine, however appears to create really big files.  I shall have to experiment more with that.