Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

JMP and Predictum- Design of Experiments DOE using JMP

Highlighted
najem

Community Member

Jan 11, 2018

Please assist me with using JMP for design of experiments and predicting experiment results to minimize the number of times to conduct the experiment.

Im basicially looking to design an experiment to inject fluid concnetration at a certain rate into a rock and measure the output concentration.

3 REPLIES
cwillden

Contributor

May 1, 2017

Hi najem,

I'm not sure this is the right venue for this kind of request.  There is a lot of considerations that go into designing an experiment, and it would really require a consultation with a statistician or an experienced DOE practitioner to determine an appropriate solution for your specific situation.  That's usually something you would pay someone to help you with.

I'll give you some free advice though.  If you just have a single factor, injection rate, and your objective is to have a predictive model out the other end, you can probably just choose 3 levels equally spaced.  This will allow you to fit a quadratic model, so you can model any curvature in that design space.  You'll want to replicate those factor levels at least once each, especially the center point.  How many times you should replicate those points depends on how noisy your response is.  I would say you should have at least 8 runs so that you have 5 degrees of freedom for the error term.

-- Cameron Willden
Peter_Bartell

Jun 5, 2014

To add to the advice contained in @cwillden's reply, I also suggest utilizing JMP's Custom Design platform, Design Evaluation, and Compare Designs subplatforms. It seems in your original post, the number of runs is a mission critical issue. The Design Diagnostics -> Design Evaluation and Compare Designs platforms in JMP version 13 are tailor made for evaluating the effects of varying sample sizes on design performance characteristics like power and others.

gail_massari

Community Manager

Feb 27, 2013

Hi,

As people have indicated, we try to make designing an experiment using JMP software user-friendly building upon the users understanding about designed experiments. I can't tell your level of experience with designed experiments from your post. Perhaps these Mastering JMP sessions and resources for people who use JMP already might be useful to give you a basis for using the software.

Basic DOE - broken into several videos 

Mixture Designs - broken into several videos

Definitive Screening Designs - broken into several videos

Also, the April 6  live 1-hour webcast on mixture designs is open for registration.