Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Huge problems with JMP 12 script-log stability. Please help...

jan_solo

Community Trekker

Feb 21, 2014

Hi Everyone,

It's the first time I'm using JMP 12 to create a script.  The problem I encounter is that, after I open the log, the thing gets unstable.  I cannot close it anymore (I need to kill the JMP process using the task manager, as JMP won't close as long as the log is open.).

This is perfectly reproducible:

- run the script

- open the log

- try to close the log

Once I even had a complete black log-window.

Did anyone encounter this?  How can I work around it?  I develop pretty complex scripts.  I do need the log to find the bug.

thx!!!

J.

10 REPLIES
admin1

Community Trekker

Aug 13, 2015

Hi Jan,

I have colleague who has JMP v12.1.0 and has not observed any issues running scripts. Which release (full JMP version number) do you have? If it is below JMP v12.1.0, you could try upgrading to a later version and see if this resolves your problem.

Regards,

Mark

txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

Hi Jan,

I have run across some instability issues with JMP with some of the users I work with, that just seem to be strange, like your issue.  My findings are that something happened during installation, or something corrupted your installed JMP files.  My suggestion is to delete your current installation and then reinstall JMP 12.  And as Mark suggests, make sure you are at JMP 12.1.0

Jim

Jim
sara_bergonzini

Community Trekker

Oct 14, 2014

Hi Jan,

we have the same big problem with JMP 12.1.0. We tried to download a new copy of JMP12.1.0 and reinstall it but it didn't solve anything. At the moment, we are waiting for the announced new version 12.2 and hoping this can fix the bug.

Sara

billw_jmp

Staff

Jul 2, 2014

You all may have already done this, but have you run the install checker to see if you get any warnings?

Go to Help > About JMP  and click the Install Checker button.  If there are issues with the installation you should see warnings at the top of the page.

sara_bergonzini

Community Trekker

Oct 14, 2014

No warning messages from the Install Checker; I assume the installation is ok.

jan_solo

Community Trekker

Feb 21, 2014

Hi everyone,

Sorry for a late reply, but it's very busy here.

I have done the re-install and the installation checker.  The checker didn't find a problem (before and after reinstall).  I still have the same problem.

It seems the log is responsive for a while, but after that it doesn't get updated anymore.  I cannot clear it, ... 

My estimated guess is it gets stuck in a deadlock.

I'm using 12.1.0 (latest version) of JMP.  (Well, actually I am using JMP 11 since I cannot script on JMP 12, it is just installed and annoying me, since it will ALWAYS open when double clicking on a script-file.  I tried to change the default program, but this didn't help.)

txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

I think you need to give the SAS support line a call, and open a ticket with them. 

Jim
Wendy_Murphrey

Jun 23, 2011

Hi, Jan.

Yes, please open a track with Technical Support and we will be happy to work with you on this issue.  You can reach Tech Support at 919-677-8008 or simply send an email to support@jmp.com

Regarding making JMP 11 your default for JMP files, I am assuming you are using JMP on a Windows operating system.  Have you tried the Reset Associations button in Preferences?  To do this, follow these steps:

1. Open JMP 11
  2. Click on the File menu and select Preferences
  3. Click on the 'Windows Specific' icon
  4. On the right, click the Reset Associations button
  5. Click OK to dismiss the Preferences window

Now when you double-click on a .jsl file, it should open in JMP 11 instead of 12.

I hope this is helpful. 

Kind regards,

Wendy Murphrey

Wendy
jan_solo

Community Trekker

Feb 21, 2014

Hi everyone,

I did log a ticket with Tech Support.  However, I managed to pinpoint the issue.

When running scripts, a lot of windows and tables open.  To close them, go to your main Window and underneath 'Window list' (right side of the screen) is a list of all JMP window and tables opened.  To close them, select all Windows and press the del-key.  Don't save.  (You need more then 2 or 3 tables to trigger the issue.)  If you have selected the log-window with all windows to close, this issue is triggered.

So as workaround, close the log separately from the other windows.

Also, if JMP won't close anymore due to the issue I described, open the log window.  From the log-window, select the file menu -> Exit JMP.  This should close JMP without the need to kill the process.

Best regards,

Jan