cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

How to exclude rows based on a formula like in excel

Hello All,

I have not run anything in JSL, as so far everything I've needed has been available as a series of buttons in the existing UI. I am hoping that what I want is still in that realm, but if it isn't, I could use instructions that a child could follow.

I want to be able to write a formula in the data filter that would exclude anything that either satisfies (or doesn't satisfy) that formula. Is there an option like that in the UI, or will I need to script something for that?

For example, if I want to say "exclude rows that do not contain the mode of X column" or "exclude rows that are not within 1 st.dev of the mean of Y column", how can I do that?

Thanks!

-Blue

2 REPLIES 2
jthi
Super User

Re: How to exclude rows based on a formula like in excel

Create new formula column with your calculation. You could make it show 1 when it should be filtered and 0 when not. Then you can add Data Filter to your data table and use that as a filter.

jthi_0-1675436025778.png

Col Mode(:age) == :age

jthi_1-1675436063250.png

If you use If statement you can use character column with what ever text you want or Value Codes column property:

jthi_2-1675436125271.pngjthi_3-1675436135955.png

-Jarmo

Re: How to exclude rows based on a formula like in excel

Another approach similar to that suggested by @jthi is to use a transform column within the data filter:

danschikore_0-1675438383497.png

Define the formula just as you would when adding a column to the table:

danschikore_1-1675438666533.png

The new column will appear only in the filter.  You can right-click to give the new column a different name, and then add it to the filter like any other column:

danschikore_2-1675438825223.png