Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Crash due to Duplicate Values in A Columns "Value Ordering" Property

johnhoughton

Community Trekker

Feb 12, 2015

When creating a simple variability chart,  I had continuous JMP crashes with the error message “JMP has performed an access violation and will shut down”.

I found this was because I had inadvertently used duplicate values when I set the “Value Ordering” property of a column that I used as the X variable of the Variability chart.

I have recreated the error using a sample data set. I’ve tested on JMP8 as well as JMP9.0.3 and it reliably crashes there as well.

dt = Open( "$ENGLISH_SAMPLE_DATA/Blood Pressure.jmp" );

Column( dt, "Subject" ) << Set Property( "Value Ordering", {1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5} );

collist = dt << Get Column Names( Numeric,Continuous );

Variability Chart( Y(Eval( collist ) ), X( :Subject) );

I have tested other reports (e.g. Fit Model, Y by X, Tree Map) and they will all cause a crash as well.

If you click on the table column JMP does give an alert message “There are duplicate values as stored in the property.  Duplicate values are eliminated from the list”, but it doesn’t change the property and JMP still crashes.

Now I know the cause I can code to avoid it. I have searched but couldn’t find any reference to this problem anywhere. I do not have  JMP10 or 11 available to test . Does anybody know if this been fixed there?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
michael_jmp

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

Solution

Hi John,

I was able to reproduce the crash using JMP Pro 9.0.3. When I try it in JMP Pro 10.0.2 and JMP Pro 11.2.0, I do not see the crash (or the alert message when clicking on the table column) in either version.

Regards,
Michael

Michael Crotty
Sr Statistical Writer
JMP Development
1 REPLY
michael_jmp

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

Solution

Hi John,

I was able to reproduce the crash using JMP Pro 9.0.3. When I try it in JMP Pro 10.0.2 and JMP Pro 11.2.0, I do not see the crash (or the alert message when clicking on the table column) in either version.

Regards,
Michael

Michael Crotty
Sr Statistical Writer
JMP Development