Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
hogi
Level XI

Workflow Builder + Add-Ins

How can I enable the Workflow Builder  to record actions from Add-Ins like:

- Custom Date Format Writer Data Table Tools Add-in 

- rename columns  Scripting Tools 

https://community.jmp.com/t5/JMPer-Cable/How-the-new-Workflow-Builder-in-JMP-17-will-save-you-time/b...

7 REPLIES 7
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: Workflow Builder + Add-Ins

Workflow Builder captures steps based on JSL that is recorded in the JMP log. For JMP's interactive actions from menus/platforms, this works because JMP's internal action recording knows how to generate the equivalent JSL to your interactive actions and writes it to the log. For Workflow Builder to work for an Add-In, the developer of the Add-Ins would need to add code to write the equivalent JSL of the actions it takes to the log so that Workflow Builder can pick up that JSL and build a step. I do not know of any Add-Ins that do this right now, but this would be a good best practice going forward for developers. 

Edit: my mistake, Workflow Builder in fact does not automatically capture JSL executed from a script right now. The Add-In would need to call Save to Workflow in the Enhanced Log after generating the equivalent JSL for whatever action is performed by the Add-In. 

jthi
Super User

I was going to ask if it is even possible to send scripts to workflow's history but I think JMP provided me an answer by crashing (or rather just closing).

1. Open Workflow Builder, Enhanced Log and Script window (no embedded log).
  2. Run simple script such as Open("$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp")
  3. Add it to workflow
  4. jthi_0-1669652719174.png
  5. JMP will close/crash

Using Windows 10 with JMP17 Pro.

-Jarmo
julian

Same behavior on the Mac, I just submitted it as a defect so we can get that fixed. Thanks for catching that!

hogi
Level XI

Wish to get at least some info about addIn calls into Woskflows:
https://community.jmp.com/t5/JMP-Wish-List/Workflow-Builder-AddIns/idc-p/583109 

minimum: a comment that the addin was called, but not recorded

ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

@julian any chance you have an example of writing some custom jsl to the enhanced log?

julian

Hi @ih,

Unfortunately, at present (JMP 17.1) there is not a way to have Workflow Builder pick up jsl items from the enhanced log that originated from a script window or Add-In. We are working on a general fix in 18 so that this will be possible.

@julian  

hogi
Level XI

it could help toadd builtin "Recall" message to all Windows created by "New Window" following @thomasz wish.

Most of it is already available: The  Recall Script by @MikeD_Anderson :
Recall Function Library 

Further on:

If Jmp provides an official way to store GUI settings, the settings could be accessed

1) either to fill the Gui again - via a Recall button 

2) to run the Add-In action directly - just piping the settings from the Associative Array of the Recall function to the Add-In.

And an  autorun=0/1 flag could control if 1) or 2):

1) default: autorun=0;
run the add-in -> GUI (with a  Recall button)

2) first set autorun-flag=1 in the Namespace of the add-in
run the add-in -> no GUI needs to be opened -> the action is directly executed, taking the settings from the stored Recall values

Last step: add a history to the Recall function:
Recall: add a history functionality