Share your ideas for the JMP Scripting Unsession at Discovery Summit by September 17th. We hope to see you there!
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
Martin
Level IV

What is "By ID" Column Property?

This is what I am doing:

1. I run a "Fit Curve"  analysis of non-linear data using both a Grouping variable and a By variable (there are 5 of these)

2. Then apply a "Fit Logistic 4P" to the Fit Curve analysis

3. Then "Save Parameter Prediction Formula"

--> this step saves two items to a new column in my data table, (1) a Formula that I fully understand and (2) a "By ID" column property that I don't understand.

Martin_0-1588609814613.png

Does anyone know that this "By ID" column propery is and what does it represent?  If seems to have a single large integer in it.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: What is "By ID" Column Property?

The documentation that you cited shows an example in which the Group role is used. That role is different than the By role. The prediction formula that you saved is using the By role, which Nonlinear does not recognize. You need a parametric model to use with Nonlinear.

Learn it once, use it forever!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

You used Fit Curve with a variable in the By analysis role. The formula needs help to know which estimates are used with with By group (level). That information is stored in the column properties that you discovered.

It's documented.

Highlighted
Martin
Level IV

My By variable is like "fruit", apple, orange, pear, etc. How does JMP translate that information into the integer value shown? And, where is it documented, I would like to understand this.

The reason why, is I do not believe JMP is behaving correctly with this information.
Highlighted
Martin
Level IV

What is happening, is that each of my By levels (fruit) does show up in the formula "correctly". But, when I take that column and use it in Fit -> Nonlinear, all of the Parameters for each By level are showing up exactly the same, as though they all came from only one of the By levels. They are all different for each By level in the Formula that was saved from the Fit platform.

Highlighted

First all, I apologize. I cannot find the documentation for this By ID property. I can find the documentation for the Predicting property:

Predicting

JMP automatically assigns the Predicting column property when you fit a model to a continuous response and save the prediction formula or prediction values. The Predicting column property identifies the platform used to create the prediction formula. That platform is listed as the Creator in the Model Comparison platform.

I do not know how the other property is used or what its value means.

The prediction formula is correct and functions properly. Why do you think that JMP is not working?

The prediction formula with a by variable is for prediction. It might not be intended to serve as a custom non-linear model to be fit in Nonlinear. I cannot launch Nonlinear with this prediction formula in the model role.

Highlighted
Martin
Level IV

I am following the JMP Documentation Library, Predictive and Specialized Modeling, Example of Setting Parameter Limits (Page 246), but the Nonlinear Platform is not interpreting the Predictive formula correctly. It is taking the parameter estimates from the first By variable level and applying them to all By variable levels.
Highlighted

The documentation that you cited shows an example in which the Group role is used. That role is different than the By role. The prediction formula that you saved is using the By role, which Nonlinear does not recognize. You need a parametric model to use with Nonlinear.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Martin
Level IV

Thanks Mark. I found a work-around by going straight to Fit -> Nonlinear and seeding it with calculated initial values.
Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.