It’s World Statistics Day! To honor the theme of the day, the JMP User Community is having conversations about the importance of trust in statistics and data. And we want to hear from you! Tell us the steps you take to ensure that your data is trustworthy.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
Byron_JMP
Staff

Re: JMP is Not a Spreadsheet

In the column box, a single click on the "+" icon brings up the formula editor.  

Once the developers get the neural natural language processor bluetooth head band working again, it will just open when you think about it.  They had it working a while back but it was too early. I installed Windows NT and version 4.7 to try it out. It was pretty amazing but the batteries were kind of heavy and I kept falling over backwards. 

JMP Systems Engineer, Pharm and BioPharm Sciences
Highlighted
P_Bartell
Level VI

I have visions of Doc Brown in "Back to the Future".

Highlighted
DIVIDESbyZER0
Level II

I think you may have identified a possible opportunity for JMP! I agree that JMP is designed for the data tables to be used for analysis through other platforms but how often do we pull data from a JMP table or make combined data table and the. Paste into Excel for final formatting? Or on the other side of the analysis I often use Excel to get the data into an acceptable format before bringing into JMP. It would be really cool if JMP could go back and forth between a data table and a spreadsheet that has connections to the data tables and reports and allows you to create document friendly formats all within one program.

JMP is definitely nit just a spreadsheet but maybe it could be a spreadsheet too
Highlighted
AlexS
Level III

A lot of good points already mentioned. Excel for majority of the time requires you to do manage data very manually with JMP you get to see your how it’s done behind the scenes with the script in the background which is much easier to recreate for the same set of repeated monthly data than say in excel in which you paste in individual formulas. Also if you want to use formulas a simple right click of the column and new formula column gives various options to do formulas instantly no drag down of formulas or creating a table in excel. Pivoting in Excel you select sheets or areas but in JMP you have flexibility of summarising or tabulated data. In short JMP offers better solutions with less clicks.
Alex is the name, Power BI/ SQL /JMP is my game
Highlighted
johnsaint
Level I

I think it is useful to articulate differences between the two, but not so useful to face them off against each other. Use both and maximise the collective benefits...
Highlighted
AlexS
Level III

So true most of the output I generate ends up being put into Excel due to managers not necessarily having JMP. Most people will start with Excel then transition over to other software programs
Alex is the name, Power BI/ SQL /JMP is my game
Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.