Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
PatrickGiuliano
Community Trekker

Re: JMP is Not a Spreadsheet

Maybe one more way to help facilitate JMP adoption is to install the JMP add-in in MS Excel. It talks to JMP and has analysis icons from JMP within Excel, so that helps for people who really can't relinquish Excel. Excel is a wonderful tool as well and can complement and even supplement certain analyses in JMP where certain calculation options, for example, are not available. One simple example would be a test for equivalence under the assumption of unequal variance (which to my knowledge is not available in JMP). You can build an Excel spreadsheet for this spreadsheet in the special case of for example: if you were to find evidence to reject the assumption of unequal variance using the hypothesis tests for equal variance output.
0 Kudos
Paul_J
Community Trekker

If your talking about test for equivalence of means allowing unqual variances, I believe the can be done, but "indirectly".  Equivalence test of means (as, say 95% level) is given by (90%) confidence interval for difference in means.  Believe the t-test in the Fit Y by X platform gives that confidence interval allowing unequal variances,

PatrickGiuliano
Community Trekker

Thanks @Paul_J, you are right in that I could pull the CI from the 2 sample t-test assuming unequal variances within the Fit Y by X Platform and Compare it to zero to assess the statistical significance (or lack thereof).

What I'm actually talking about is the Equivalence test using TOST (two one-sided t-test approach) where you have to specify a practical difference threshold that defines the maximum difference on average, allowable between groups to be considered not practically important (and by default, that difference is symmetric about zero). For that particular method, there is no option for "unequal variances": the default is equal variance assumed.
0 Kudos
Paul_J
Community Trekker

Indeed, I've had quite a bit of success with the Graph Builder, ... as well as Control Chart Builder and Local Data Filter.  Many Excel users love the "pivot table feel" with power of graphics.

Another sucess I've had at showning value is replacing hours of manal copy-paste and cell formulating in Excel with seconds via a JMP script.

The Help and Books are great also!

0 Kudos