cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
PaulMasuch
Level II

How to insert X axis break in graph builder?

Hi everyone,

I am trying to insert a simple X axis break in JMP, but can't find the option for it in the Graph Builder.

In Origin Lab for example this was easily achievable using x axis breaks. I am quite new to JMP, so any help would be much appreciated!

My X axis data are timestamps, spread over multiple days, but on a single day they are only in the range of up to one hours. If I put all timestamps as X, the trend of the data during a single day gets lost, because the distance to the next day is so much larger.

I want to only display the X data on each day during the time where measurements were taken. I have added a small graphic to hopefully better explain the problem.

JMP_question_x_axis_break.png

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaulMasuch
Level II

Re: How to insert X axis break in graph builder?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far Jemster, jthi and ih.

If I understand it correctly, this is not done quickly and easily, and especially not if I want to make changes to the display or data. I will still try to make one of the solutions work.

I also think this should be implemented in JMP - I will see if I can add it to the Wish List.

Greetings Paul

Edit

wish list - https://community.jmp.com/t5/JMP-Wish-List/Add-easily-configurable-axis-breaks-to-the-Graph-Builder/...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Jemster
Level III

Group X could be what you want. Based on your description you may want  to use a Local Data Filter, found using the red triangle next to "Graph Builder" in the graph builder window, to exclude timestamps where data doesn't exist

jthi
Super User

One option you could try setting your timestamp to Ordinal (or Nominal) and use your grouping variable as Overlay. You could possibly also add Date as additional grouping column

jthi_2-1658742280148.png

I have also attached data table with table script

-Jarmo
ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

On several occasions I resorted to making three separate tall and skinny graphs and then copy-pasted them together, for times when group x or ordinal axes didn't do quite what I was looking for.  This would be a good wish list item if nobody else comes up with a solution for a continuous variable.

jthi
Super User

I think it could be a good wish list item that JMP would have an option to scale X-axis automatically where you are using X-grouping and have continuous X-axis. Currently JMP will just show "empty space". You cannot even scale them separately

jthi_1-1658772403885.png

This image might be easier to understand for some users to understand what is going on

jthi_2-1658772519999.png

After some paint and copy-paste of combining couple of graphs, something like this (should maybe work for nominal and ordinal x-axis too):

jthi_4-1658772768261.png

-Jarmo
PaulMasuch
Level II

Thanks for all the suggestions so far Jemster, jthi and ih.

If I understand it correctly, this is not done quickly and easily, and especially not if I want to make changes to the display or data. I will still try to make one of the solutions work.

I also think this should be implemented in JMP - I will see if I can add it to the Wish List.

Greetings Paul

Edit

wish list - https://community.jmp.com/t5/JMP-Wish-List/Add-easily-configurable-axis-breaks-to-the-Graph-Builder/...

XanGregg
Staff

You might be interested in https://community.jmp.com/t5/JMP-Blog/How-to-create-an-axis-break-in-JMP/ba-p/30611, which shows another way to add an axis break: by adding a duplicate of the variable and adjusting each part to only show a fraction. Here's what it looks like on jthi's data, but changing the x variable (column 2) back to continuous:

XanGregg_0-1678806507545.png

I did some clean-up, changing the colors to all be the same, but would also want to edit the Legend Settings to hide the extra legend entries.

Graph Builder(
	Size( 973, 455 ),
	Show Control Panel( 0 ),
	Graph Spacing( 15 ),
	Variables( X( :Column 2 ), X( :Column 2 ), X( :Column 2 ), Y( :Column 1 ) ),
	Elements( Position( 1, 1 ), Bar( X, Y, Legend( 7 ) ) ),
	Elements( Position( 2, 1 ), Bar( X, Y, Legend( 8 ) ) ),
	Elements( Position( 3, 1 ), Bar( X, Y, Legend( 9 ) ) ),
	SendToReport(
		Dispatch( {}, "Column 2", ScaleBox,
			{Min( 20oct2022 + 00:01:00 ), Max(20oct2022 + 03:59:00 ), Interval( "Hour" ),
			Inc( 1 ), Minor Ticks( 0 )}
		),
		Dispatch( {}, "Column 2", ScaleBox( 2 ),
			{Min( 21oct2022 + 00:01:00 ), Max(21oct2022 + 03:59:00 ), Interval( "Hour" ),
		),
		Dispatch( {}, "Column 2", ScaleBox( 3 ),
			{Min( 22oct2022 + 00:01:00 ), Max(22oct2022 + 03:59:00 ), Interval( "Hour" ),
		),
		Dispatch( {}, "400", ScaleBox,
			{Legend Model( 7,
				Properties( 0, {Fill Color( 5 )}, Item ID( "Column 1", 1 ) )
			), Legend Model( 8,
			), Legend Model( 9,
			)}
		)
	)
);
hogi
Level XI

This wish could fix the issue:
X group: restrict the values on the axis to the respective group 

with the new option :restrict x axis to the respective group everything will get very comfortable

... and robust:

There are some workarounds, but all of them are quite fragile. Just imagine what happens if some rows are added ...

For continuous values, some trick will be necessary to store the range and scale information for every subplot.
Is it worth it?

For nominal value, it's much easier: get a much better plot, just by removing empty space.
The only question here:
equal widths of 1 ... Nmax (with some alignment rule: left, center,right, stretch?)
or individual widths for each subplot: 1 ... Ni