cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
sushiz
Level II

How do I make a prediction model based on my old experiment data?

I am new to JMP software ( version 11.2.0).

I have a question on prediction model. Before having JMP, I ran 2 experiments shown below. ISOD is the response, and temperature & aging time are both continuous. Using these 2 tables, can I make a prediction model for  ISOD yield in temperature range 100 to 180 & aging time 1 to 20 together? For an example, what will ISOD be at like 150 C with 15 days of aging time? I was not able to do it. I know that I can make matrix with DOE for prediction model, but that means I have to do experiments again.

experiment 1

​temperature (C)​aging time (days)​ISOD
​100​2​14
​140​2​79
​180​2​67

experiment 2

​temperature (C)​aging time (days)​ISOD
​100​1​0.3
​100​10​75
​100​20​99

Thank you for your time, and I would appreciate your help.

6 REPLIES 6
louv
Staff (Retired)

Re: How do I make a prediction model based on my old experiment data?

You can do what you desire knowing the context of the data. It is happenstance data and not data originating from a controlled designed experiment which would provide additional information around any interactions.

9666_Screen Shot 2015-08-26 at 10.59.22 PM.png

sushiz
Level II

Thank you, Lou.

I really appreciate your help. I see what you did. You just added T & aging time into factors and ran standard least squares/minimal report. I have 3 additional questions on the report.

1. I watched one tutorial video, and a guys mentions that Prob >F should be less than 0.01 as a rule of thumb. Mine is shown as 0.0938. Do I play around with "model effect" and "degree" in "fit model" window to decrease this value?

2. My response ISOD is percentage and it should be in range of 0-100. In prediction profile for 150 C and 15 days, I can understand ISOD being 120 % as 100 %, but is there a way to set so that prediction does not go over 100?

3. According to this prediction model, I get ISOD = 106 at 100 C and 20 days. My actual data has ISOD = 99 at that condition. Is there a way to refine it?

Steven_Moore
Level VI

YIKES!!!

I would be very dubious about predicting any results outside the experimental space.  You have only one data point at 150+ deg. C and then only 2 days aging.  You also have only one data point with more than 15 days aging and that is at only at 100 deg. C .  Therefore, predicitng at 150 deg C and 15 days aging would be very precarious.  My advice:  Perform more experiments designed around the parameters within which you wish to be able to predict with any confidence/accuracy.

Steve
sushiz
Level II

Hi smoore2,

You are right. The error in prediction model is probably too big to be useful. I need more data points to have more accurate prediction model... .

Kevin_Anderson
Level VI

Your original experiment looks like an OFAT...one in which One-Factor-at-A-Time is varied.  It's not a very efficient way to generate information.

Like Lou Valente and smoore2 recommend, you might consider running a designed experiment.  "More data points" is not all you need to form a more accurate prediction model.

hlrauch
Level III

A couple more ideas:

Instead of creating a totally new designed experiment or repeating the same experimental runs, you can add experiments to your current data using the "Augment" feature. With your current data table open, select DOE > Augment Design from the menu bar. Enter ISOD as the Y and the other two variables as X's.In the Augment Design window, click on the Augment button. For a standard model that is useful for prediction (interactions and curvature effects), click on the RSM button. The new designed experiment will consist of your 6 experimental runs plus several more runs to complete.

Regarding predicted values above 100: one could do a Logitpct transform on the response data. I would want to know more about the nature of the response before transforming it, but this would guarantee that the model predictions stay between 0 and 100. In the model dialog, put ISOD in the Y role, click on it to select it, and then click on the Transform red triangle and select LogitPct.

Howard