Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
Robbb
Level II

Filter Col Selection Properties: Limit selection

Hi everybody,

since JMP 15 (or 14?) there is this wonderful Filter Col Selection. I am trying to use it for my own GUI in a JSL script.

colList = Filter Col Selector( Width( 256 ), N Lines( 20 ), Max Selected( 1 ) ) 

Somehow Max Selected (1) does not work, even though I see it in the property list, when calling show properties(colList).

It works when replacing Filter Col Selector by a Col List Box, but then I loose the nice filter function.

What am I doing wrong? How to limit the number of selected elements of a Filter Col Selector?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Thierry_S
Level VI

Re: Filter Col Selection Properties: Limit selection

Hi,

Here is a possible solution to your problem: the Set Max Selected needs to be applied to the colList variable separately:

Names Default to Here (1);

dt = Current Data Table ();

nw = New Window("TEXT",colList = Filter Col Selector( dt, Width( 256 ), N Lines( 20 )));

colList << Set Max Selected (2);
Thierry R. Sornasse

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Thierry_S
Level VI

Hi Rob,
It might be obvious but based on the JMP help section, the command Filter Col Selector does not appear to have an option for specifying Maximum selected items.
Best,
TS
Thierry R. Sornasse
Highlighted
Robbb
Level II

Hi Thierry,

It seems to me it does have this possibility:

Names Default To Here( 1 );
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );
New Window( "Filter Col Selector Example",
	fontobj = lb = Filter Col Selector( width( 250 ) )
);
Show Properties(fontobj)

The long output lists

Set Max Selected
Get Max Selected

as well as

Set N Lines
Get N Lines

as available Functions.

N Lines works, Max Selected does not for some reason.

Highlighted
Thierry_S
Level VI

Hi,

Here is a possible solution to your problem: the Set Max Selected needs to be applied to the colList variable separately:

nw = New Window("TEXT",colList = Filter Col Selector( dt, Width( 256 ), N Lines( 20 )));

colList << Set Max Selected (2);
Thierry R. Sornasse

View solution in original post

Highlighted
gzmorgan0
Super User

@Thierry_S provided you a perfect solution.

Just a simple syntax addendum: any property that seems to be added once created typically can be added as , <<property.

So this works as well.

nw = New Window("TEXT",colList = Filter Col Selector( dt, Width( 256 ), N Lines( 20 ), << Set Max Selected (2)));
Highlighted
gzmorgan0
Super User

@Robbb ,

You asked why some properties are set via the "command string" and others with send "<<" syntax.

Thst is one for the developers. It is just a wild guess on my part:

• Parsers, hash tables are created and published for items like FilterColBox(). And after the parsers are created someone says oh, this would be useful, so it is added as a message???
  • Some properties are display properties and others are action properties, properties set once the object exists??

Syntax is what it is (i before e except after C and ...)

Note if you add a FilterColSelector in the ApplicationBuilder, Max Selected is a property field. But it is an object that was dragged in...it exists.

Maybe a developer will respond.

image.png

Highlighted
Robbb
Level II

Yes, that kind of works. Thanks.

However, the behavior with Set Max Selected (1) of a Filter Col Selector is different than with a Col List Box. I can still select multiple entries by holding down shift and up or down. Is it a bug? Set Max Selected (2) works like expected i.e. it is not possible to select more than 2, even with the keyboard.

@gzmorgan0  Thanks, I learned something. Just out of curiosity: How and why is the Max Selected Property different here from Width or N Lines for example?

Highlighted
gzmorgan0
Super User

@Robbb ,

I tested this script on JMP 14.3 and JMP 15. Below, while Semiconductor Capability is the current data table,  holding the shift key down I selected lot_id thru SITE only 2 were selected. I am on Windows 10.  Hmmmm. Maybe a JMP version, OS issue?

Names Default To Here( 1 );

dt = Current Data Table();

nw = New Window( "TEXT",
	colList = Filter Col Selector( dt, Width( 256 ), N Lines( 20 ), <<Set Max Selected( 2 ))
);

image.png

Highlighted
Robbb
Level II

@gzmorgan0,

I'm on Windows 10, too, and yes, the behavior with Set Filter Max (2) you discribe is the same as on my PC. Use Set Filter Max (1) in the same script and you will see that you can select as many as you want by using the keyboard.
Highlighted
gzmorgan0
Super User

@Robbb,

I tested on JMP 14.3 and 15.1 setting  <<Max Selected(1), I get 1 whether I use shift + select or ctrl + select. Only 1 is selected.

Article Labels