Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Conditional highlighting of p-values and significance level

rathman_1

Community Trekker

Jul 24, 2014

I'm using JMP 11.2 and wondering why the conditional formatting of p-values in (for example) the t-test report for the Fit Y by X platform does not change when the significance level is changed. It appears that p-values are colored red and marked with an asterisk whenever they are < 0.05, the default significance level. If I change the significance level, however the conditional formatting may no longer be correct. For example, if I change alpha to 0.01, p-values less than 0.05 but greater than 0.01 are still highlighted in red and marked with an asterisk.

2 REPLIES
julian

Staff

Jun 25, 2014

Hi rathman.1,

Conditional formatting is controlled by settings in the JMP preferences rather than in individual platforms. This turns out to be useful since all output inherits the same format, so consistency across platform output is never an issue. But, I can see how it might be useful to locally override the global settings if you're changing alpha levels for a particular analysis only (perhaps holding down shift then setting a platform alpha-level could tell JMP you want to update the local formatting). I'll be happy to submit a request to development on your behalf.

In the meantime, to change the formatting for p-values go to:

Preferences >> Reports >> Manage Rules >> Pvalue >> Edit

I hope this helps!

Julian

rathman_1

Community Trekker

Jul 24, 2014

Julian,

Thanks for your quick and helpful reply.Although I appreciate consistency across platforms, consistency within a single platform is much more important to me. I wonder if the conditional formatting could/should be keyed to the value of the significance level (either the default or one specified by the user) instead of being "hard-wired" to specific values such as 0.01 or 0.05.

Thanks again.