Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Bubble plot color scale and ID aggregation

htran

Community Trekker

Jul 8, 2011

I have a few questions regarding bubble plot options. Any help with any of the questions is appreciated. For the given example table...

1. Is there a way to define the color scale used by the bubble plot coloring? The default appears to go from blue-grey-red... I need one that goes from red-yellow-green

- Example:     I need row 2 to be green, row 3 to be red

2. If I use "ID column" as an ID and set "coloring value" for the color column, the color for that each bubble seems to be determined from the average of the rows for each ID... Can this be changed to use the minimum value?

- Example:      one bubble is plotted at x=1, y=1 with color based on (0.8+1)/2     -->      I need this to be colored based on the minimum "coloring value" of the rows for this ID = 0.8

another bubble is plotted at x=2, y=2 with color based on (0+0.2)/2     -->      I need this to be colored based on the minimum "coloring value" of the rows for this ID = 0

3. Can the bubble plot be aggregated by included rows only, and not all rows in the datatable?

- Example:     can the rows used to determine the color of each bubble change as data is excluded from the table?

xyID columncoloring value
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

1. Even better.

2. Col Min() and others now (as of JMP 9, I think) take an optional BY argument, which will allow you get to get the min for each grouping of another variable.

3. You're right -- it's a JMP 10 enhancement. In JMP 9, it seems to honor the row states at launch time. Redo Analysis will refresh. I can't think of a better work-around for JMP 9.

3 REPLIES
XanGregg

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

Answers using JMP 10, though I think most apply to JMP 9, too:

1. You can always create a custom color theme and use that, but for your use case, it may be better to just skip the color role in Bubble Plot and apply the colors you want to each row in the data table. Then the bubbles will use those colors.

2. I think mean and sum are the only aggregations options. To use min, you can create a new column which is the min of each group and use that new column for coloring.

3. I'm seeing the colors change as I exclude rows, so I think it is now working the way you want.

htran

Community Trekker

Jul 8, 2011

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I am required to use 32-bit JMP 9 for this plot. Do you know if your solutions to questions 2 and 3 are only possible with JMP 10?

1. Your suggestion was one that would have worked, but I ended up using the color scale property of the column to define a custom color scale.

2. Sorry if there is an obvious answer to this, but how do I get the new column to have a formula where it is the min of aggregated groups from the "coloring value" column? I can set the formula to be the min of a column, but I'm not sure how to set it to be the min of an aggregated group of a column. Is this only possible in JMP 10?

3. Is this also only possible in JMP 10? My colors don't seem to change as I exclude rows with JMP 9.

Thanks again,

Huy

Solution

1. Even better.

2. Col Min() and others now (as of JMP 9, I think) take an optional BY argument, which will allow you get to get the min for each grouping of another variable.

3. You're right -- it's a JMP 10 enhancement. In JMP 9, it seems to honor the row states at launch time. Redo Analysis will refresh. I can't think of a better work-around for JMP 9.