Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
MThomson
Level I

Application Error in JMP 15 Projects

I developed an application in JMP 14, and am experiencing errors when attempting to launch it in JMP 15.

I can't post the code itself as it is proprietary, so I'll generally describe the application. The app contains a custom input module where the user fills out some options and selects columns. When they press "launch," the user inputs are collected and put into a namespace. The output module is an interactive window with a number of custom, background calculations performed based on user inputs.

The issue appears to come when the user runs the application in a project. Previously, the modules would open as a new window when launched on a data table in a project. In JMP 15, both the input and output modules are being launched as tabs within the project. The error comes when the user exits the project and attempts to reload it later. The module fails to initialize (I assume because it doesn't have input data), and crashes JMP.

Any suggestions on how to get around this? The simplest solution would be to just force the input/output modules to launch as new windows, not project tabs, though I'm not sure how to do this.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Application Error in JMP 15 Projects

I used the sample app "Launcher With Report" to compare JMP 14 and JMP 15.  With this app I do not see a difference in how the windows launch inside a JMP Project.  The Launcher uses a module type of "Launcher" and it appears as a separate window outside of the project.  The report appears inside the project, but it does not get saved to the project.  This is expected because windows created by App Builder are essentially custom JSL windows.

What are the module types that you are using in your application?  Can you recreate the problem by modifying the sample application in some way?

Highlighted
MThomson
Level I

While attempting to replicate the error, I found what appears to be a separate bug. When I create a project, open "Launcher with Report," then attempt to save the project, JMP completely crashes.

Using that data table and a quick application I threw together, I was able to replicate the error to some extent. It's failing when I attempt to attach the files here, so I'll briefly describe it. I have two modules, a launcher and a report. The launcher allows the user to select columns, then passes those columns to the report module. The output module creates a private subset of the datatable, does some calculations on the user-input columns, saves these to columns in the private datatable, and plots them. When the project is saved, the report module gets saved to the project file. If I open the project file in Notepad++, I see a "run script" section of the project where it attempts to recreate the output module. However, because the column names are not present in the original data table, it gives an error. In the case of my real application, the error is large enough that it completely freezes JMP.

In JMP 14, I got around this issue by setting the output module to be a launcher as well, so it opened in a new window as opposed to in the project. However, in JMP 15, launchers get opened as tabs in the project. I would either like to force the report module into a separate window, or somehow prevent it from being saved when the project is saved. Is this possible?

Highlighted
MThomson
Level I

I restarted my computer and the attachment error went away. The toy data and application are attached.

Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.