cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Graph Builder: Enable axes-aware sizing of dots with Size drop-zone

What inspired this wish list request?   Often the variable being dropped in the Graph Builder "Size" drop-zone has the same units as the X and Y axes (e.g. centimeters), so from a plotting standpoint it makes sense that the marker be drawn to match the size of those units (example below).  This would make basic surface-mapping/topographical visualizations within Graph Builder very easy.

What is the improvement you would like to see?  I would like the "Size Settings..."  (right-click the legend) box to have a "Match Axes Scale" checkbox.  (example below)

Why is this idea important?  This will enable scaled visualization of simple-shaped regions on axes where the X, Y, and Size variables all have the same units.

-----

Example:

Suppose I have a dataset of flaws found on a surface of manufactured products that looks like this:

SNX(cm)Y(cm)Diameter(cm)

With the idea above, to visualize the defects in Graph Builder the user would create a Local-Data-Filter for SN, then plot points with X(cm)->X, Y(cm)->Y, and Diameter(cm)->Size, then click "Match Axes Scale" in the "Size settings..." dialog. 

The default circular points would be drawn as ovals with the semi-major/minor axes of length _Diameter(cm)_ along each axis.  Other marker types would be scaled similarly, but this would be most useful for circle/square markers.

JMP v17+

1 Comment
jthi
Super User

I'm not sure if there should also be an option for force the scaling to follow only one axis (vertical/horizontal) or both of them at the same time (by default it should follow both). 

Link to original discussion: Making Graph Builder's "Size" scale to axes