cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit. Register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
abmayfield
Level VI

plotting fundraising data

I am running a fundraising drive for a professional society, and we are trying to reach a goal of $10,000 in donations (no, this is not a shameless plug!). I am thinking plotting the data on a thermometer or something like this would look better than simply a bar graph. Screenshot 2022-11-01 at 09.02.36.pngI very poorly traced a portion of the thermometer using the "custom map shape" add-in (see attached files). Now, I can essentially turn off and on sections of the thermometer to show progress (likely binning by ~$1,000). But even if I meticulously trace this, I'm thinking it still won't look very good. My question is: am I over-thinking this? I'm thinking this might be a common-enough graphing goal that someone (a user or JMP employee) may have already developed a good graphic for showing "financial progress." Is there any sort of "custom shape" archive? I feel like I heard about this at one point! Well, I guess this may be more of a "graphmanship" question than a JMP question, but I am open to any suggestions of how to make a nice figure in JMP that will show progress towards an end goal (as it will be posted online, it would ideally support interactive HTML)! Screenshot 2022-11-01 at 10.14.02.png

Anderson B. Mayfield
4 REPLIES 4
David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

Re: plotting fundraising data

Perhaps use a background image rather than custom shapes.

Here is a theromometer image, with the data being plotted as a bar:

David_Burnham_0-1667313253296.png

-Dave
jthi
Super User

You might get some ideas from @scwise's JMP Community blog Scott's JMP Community blog . Also his "Pictures from the Gallery" series might give good ideas Community search - Pictures from the Gallery .

My first thought would be to use either Custom Graphics or background in graph builder and then combine that with Bar char and local data filter to control bar height.

Very very quick example:

jthi_0-1667313244393.png

jthi_1-1667313264777.png

-Jarmo
scwise
Staff

Anderson...I agree with Jarmo and David that the background image would be the easiest (and possible best looking) way to get your "thermometer" charity bar chart!  Here are two blogs that show how to incorporate

background images and even graph overlay elements to make the graphics even more compelling!  

Background Images as Bars in Graph Builder:

https://community.jmp.com/t5/Scott-Wise-s-Blog/Is-Godzilla-Really-Growing-Graph-Exploration/ba-p/246...

Graph Element Overlay in Graph Builder:

https://community.jmp.com/t5/Scott-Wise-s-Blog/Visualizing-the-Effects-of-Global-Sea-Level-Rise-Grap...

Hope this helps!

- Scott

abmayfield
Level VI

Thanks everyone. Strange, I usually get email alert updates when someone posts but didn't this time, hence my late response.

I figured there must be an easier way than tracing, so I'm glad I asked! That being said, I DID try and do a better job of tracing, and it didn't come out terrible (see shape files). Though that doesn't address the scale issue so I simply used "annotate" to cheat.Screenshot 2022-11-02 at 07.30.38.pngI will check out Scott's suggested posts. I am always looking for better ways to present data, though in this case, maybe the relatively more drab option isn't necessarily that bad: ICRS fundraising drive.jmp - Graph Builder.pngThis one took all of 10 seconds to make in GraphBuilder and (hopefully) shows that we are progressing towards our goal. So maybe for this particular example, the simple default option shouldn't necessarily be frowned upon, whereas for other purposes, more advanced, customized, "sexier" options may be the way to go, so I'll check out these resources to see how I can improve my "graphsmanship" with JMP Pro 17+GB! Thanks everyone.

Anderson B. Mayfield