cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Deez_Data
Level I

Can cells be fully cleared? Clearing numeric columns leaves "dots" behind

I made a copy of a table because I want to reuse the same column headers and types that I had already set up. But I want to clear the contents. Clearing the contents doesn't seem to really work. The left-most "column" which numbers all the rows still has all the numbers filled in from before, and the numeric columns still have dots in the cells instead of empty cells. Like this:
jmp screenshot -- cells not cleared.png

This is annoying because when I was making the first table, there were a lot of repeating nominal data. For example, x number of data points all have the same label. I would paste in the numbers then fill in the top row associated with that and right click > Fill > Fill to end of table. Now if I do the same thing, the end of table is all the way at the bottom where all those dots end, NOT where it should end, which is wherever the last row of my freshly pasted numeric data is. 

Why can't the cells be completely cleared? 

My JMP version is 16.0.0. On Windows. 

PS: only interested in working in the GUI for now. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
ErraticAttack
Level VI

Re: Can cells be fully cleared? Clearing numeric columns leaves "dots" behind

Likely what you did is delete the cells rather than the rows -- if you select rows and press the <DELETE> key then it will do what you want.

The easiest way that I find to do this is if I have a mixed selection like this:

ErraticAttack_0-1667613553402.png

Then click the null-space in the upper-right portion of the first cell (see the red circle here) to deselect the columns -- this changes the selection from a selection of CELLS to a selection of ROWS.  Pressing delete now will delete the rows entirely instead of clearing the cells.

ErraticAttack_1-1667613664093.png

after pressing delete:

ErraticAttack_2-1667613715260.png

Jordan

View solution in original post

Craige_Hales
Super User

Yes.

A region of cells with both columns and rows selectedA region of cells with both columns and rows selected

Clicking at A will deselect columns. Clicking at B will deselect rows. You can right click at B and select all rows.

To delete columns, make sure no rows are selected. To delete rows, make sure no columns are selected.

The dots represent missing values.

Craige

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ErraticAttack
Level VI

Likely what you did is delete the cells rather than the rows -- if you select rows and press the <DELETE> key then it will do what you want.

The easiest way that I find to do this is if I have a mixed selection like this:

ErraticAttack_0-1667613553402.png

Then click the null-space in the upper-right portion of the first cell (see the red circle here) to deselect the columns -- this changes the selection from a selection of CELLS to a selection of ROWS.  Pressing delete now will delete the rows entirely instead of clearing the cells.

ErraticAttack_1-1667613664093.png

after pressing delete:

ErraticAttack_2-1667613715260.png

Jordan
Craige_Hales
Super User

Yes.

A region of cells with both columns and rows selectedA region of cells with both columns and rows selected

Clicking at A will deselect columns. Clicking at B will deselect rows. You can right click at B and select all rows.

To delete columns, make sure no rows are selected. To delete rows, make sure no columns are selected.

The dots represent missing values.

Craige