cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
mahroo
Level II

more replications or more runs?

Hi,

I am designing an experiment using custom design in JMP. Number of variables and their levels is high, so I cannot do a full factorial design, but I could have more runs than the minimum that JMP gives me. My question is that which one is better; to have more replications or to have more runs?

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
mahroo
Level II

Re: more replications or more runs?

That's a good point, but I guess if it does not have any effect on the design of experiment I could consider it later when I will be working on analysis of the results.

louv
Staff (Retired)

Although it is the same number of runs if you look closely at the attached file it does have an effect on the design since the algorithm gives a different set of runs. You sacrifice some power on the main effects to be able to possibly model the interactions. You are banking on the effect sparsity principle and by utilizing a stepwise regression you are hoping to "tease" out a more complex model.

mahroo
Level II

Thanks for all your help