Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
JPB
JPB
Level II

how do you generate this plot in JMP?

I have a grid of crosses that I measure.  Each grid position has a nominal expected position, and I measure its actual position and calculate the error.  I would like to plot the magnitude and direction of the error at each nominal position.  Is there a way to do this in JMP?  The plot I'm hoping for looks like the following (I did not generate this plot; I have software that does it):

JPB_0-1706131334601.png

I don't know what is needed to generate such a plot, so for now I've attached what I have: the nominal position at each cross, the actual measured position, and the errors.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
hogi
Level XI

Re: how do you generate this plot in JMP?

There is a blog post by @XanGregg where he explains how to generate Vector plots in Jmp:
Vector Plots in JMP 
[different length, but not different size of arrow heads]

Besides that, Jmp developers plan to include Vector Plots directly in Graph Builder:

Add vector fields to Graph Builder 

View solution in original post

JPB
JPB
Level II

Hi hogi, that did the trick; thank you.  Half the battle for us newbies is knowing what a plot is called (didn't know it was a "vector plot").  Using your info I was able to reproduce the plot in my original post using JMP:

JPB_3-1706201650167.png

For those who are interested, I have attached a second file with the script for this plot included.  Run the script "Vector Plot", right click on the chart and select "Customize..." from the drop-down menu, select "Script" and you'll see what I had to add to make the arrows appear, namely:

JPB_4-1706201912660.png

Note that the first time I did this there was no Script option, so I pressed the "+" button, which made it appear.  After making the addition I pressed OK and voila: the desired arrows.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
hogi
Level XI

There is a blog post by @XanGregg where he explains how to generate Vector plots in Jmp:
Vector Plots in JMP 
[different length, but not different size of arrow heads]

Besides that, Jmp developers plan to include Vector Plots directly in Graph Builder:

Add vector fields to Graph Builder 

JPB
JPB
Level II

Hi hogi, that did the trick; thank you.  Half the battle for us newbies is knowing what a plot is called (didn't know it was a "vector plot").  Using your info I was able to reproduce the plot in my original post using JMP:

JPB_3-1706201650167.png

For those who are interested, I have attached a second file with the script for this plot included.  Run the script "Vector Plot", right click on the chart and select "Customize..." from the drop-down menu, select "Script" and you'll see what I had to add to make the arrows appear, namely:

JPB_4-1706201912660.png

Note that the first time I did this there was no Script option, so I pressed the "+" button, which made it appear.  After making the addition I pressed OK and voila: the desired arrows.