Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Kanstantsin
Level II

Using externally calculated st.dev. in X by Y

Hi everyone,

i occasionally get datasets, where there is no raw data available, just the mean, st.dev. and number of replicates. Is there a way to use this available data to run a t-test, for instance? A quick platform launch is included to show what I want to do.

I was thinking, that maybe constructing a simulated distribution (let's assume it's normal) with the given parameters and counts could be the way to go, but I I'm not sure how to do that. Does anyone have an idea? A scripted solution would be good, i could adapt that.

Have a great day!

Kanstantsin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Using externally calculated st.dev. in X by Y

You might also be able to use this solution.

You would have to run very many bootstrap samples to approach inference by resampling.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Georg
Level VII

You can use --> Sample Index --> Teaching Scripts for a t-test with summary statistics:

But may be not appropriate for many rows.

Georg_0-1676477225225.png

Georg
Kanstantsin
Level II

Hi Georg, thanks for this! Didn't know this option existed! Doesn't scale too greatly unfortunately.

The solution that Mark gave is what I was looking for! And, yeah, that's not a dataset with high effects...

You might also be able to use this solution.

You would have to run very many bootstrap samples to approach inference by resampling.

Kanstantsin
Level II

Hi Mark,

thanks a lot! yes, this worked rather nicely, and so did the concatenation for categories that Ron mentions in his reply.

Georg
Level VII

I would probably use this graph to understand the data, mean on y and stddev as interval:

Georg_0-1676535597980.png

Resampling can be done of course, but will not lead to a good assessment with small differences.

Georg