Share your ideas for the JMP Scripting Unsession at Discovery Summit by September 17th. We hope to see you there!
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted

Referencing a selected column in a new column formula

I am constantly needing to convert Date:Time columns (M/D/Y hh:mm:ss) to date columns and am looking for a script I can add in as a tool such that I can select the Date:Time column I am wanting to use (regardless of the name of the column) to make a new date column and have the script saved into an easy to access shortcut. 

The part I am not able to figure out is how I can reference a "selected column" in the new column formula... I feel it should be along the lines of what I have below, except in the formula I am not currently able to figure out how to reference the selected column. 

dt1 = Current Data Table();

sc1 = dt1 << Get Selected Columns;

dt1<<new column("Date", Numeric, set each value("SC1" - time of day("SC1")));

In my current data table the Date:Time column is named DviStartTime and is in the format (m/d/y hh:mm:ss), I want to add a new column named date without having to specify the exact name of the column. 

Any help is appreciated!

Jocelyn

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
txnelson
Super User

Re: Referencing a selected column in a new column formula

You need to use the As Column() function, or in some cases the Column() function to be able to reference the columns with memory variables.  See below:

dt1<<new column("Date", Numeric, set each value(as column(dt1, sc1)- time of day(as column(dt1,sc1))));
Jim

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
txnelson
Super User

You need to use the As Column() function, or in some cases the Column() function to be able to reference the columns with memory variables.  See below:

dt1<<new column("Date", Numeric, set each value(as column(dt1, sc1)- time of day(as column(dt1,sc1))));
Jim

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Perfect thank you!

Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.