cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
shasheminassab
Level IV

Notes in Data Table

Is there any way to write some notes somewhere in JMP and save in the data table? For instance, I would like to write some notes about the steps I took to clean the data and I would like to save it to the data table similar to saving scripts in the top left corner of the table. Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
txnelson
Super User

Re: Notes in Data Table

You can just add a New Table Variable and call it Notes: and then type anything you want into the value space for it.
Also, every column has a Column Property called Note, where you can save notes about a particular column
Jim
shasheminassab
Level IV

Great! Thanks for the quick response.
P_Bartell
Level VIII

@txnelsonoffers some simple and elegant solutions. Another might be to create a JMP Project with the data table and additional supporting documentation containing your notes like a JMP Journal, or MS Word document, or really just about any other file structure construct. If your data cleaning steps are highly repetitive and you've codified them in a JMP script, you could embed the script as well. One nice feature of a JMP Project is it's shareable with others and an easy way to package up lots of disparate file structures and work related content.

teebahnson
Level III

I like to create a script called "run me for documentation" which uses a modal window, which can be interactive, see here:

https://www.jmp.com/support/help/zh/15.2/index.shtml#page/jmp/construct-a-modal-window.shtml

The script I create and store in the data table is :

New Window( "Message",
	modal,
	H List Box( Text Box( "add documentation text here" ) )
);

txnelson
Super User

Here is one way to handle it

Names Default To Here( 1 );
dt = Current Data Table();
Eval(
	Parse(
		"dt<<new script(\!"best\!",
New Window( \!"Message\!",
	modal,
	H List Box( Text Box( \!"add documentation text here\!" ) )
);)"
	)
);
Jim