Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
StarfruitBob
Level VI

Nested data filter row selection

Hello,

I'm working on a project where I'll have data categorized in a data table and users will down select to a specific option via an interface I'm creating.

What I want the script below to do is:

1. In the left radio box, Choice 1, the person selects the age.
    1. In the data table all rows that are not that age are hidden and excluded in the data table.
  2. In the right radio box, Choice 2, it's dynamically updated to only show options that are not hidden or excluded and will contain a list of names to choose from.
  3. Once both of these options are selected, only 1 row will remain, which the row number is returned in my_row.

What I would like help on:

• Rows are not hidden and excluded automatically when options from Choice 1 are selected, even though show(1) and include(1) are included in the filter terms
  • Radio box 2 is not dynamically updated as a result of the Choice 1
  • Both of these do not "work together", Choice 2 overwrites row states of Choice 1 and can select from any row. This is probably because it's not dynamically updated(?)

References

dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );

dt << Clear Row States;

New Window( "Example",
	Data Filter Context Box(
		H List Box(
			Panel Box( "Choice 1",
				dt << Data Filter(
					Add Filter(
						columns( :age ),
						Display( :age, Size( 140, 185 ), "Radio Box Display" ),
						Mode( Select( 1 ), Show( 1 ), Include( 1 ) )
			)	)	),
			Panel Box( "Choice 2",
				H List Box(
					Data Filter Context Box(
						V List Box(
							dt << Data Filter(
								Add Filter(
									columns( :name ),
									Display( :name, Size( 160, 150 ), Radio Box Display ),
									Mode( Select( 1 ) )
)	)	)	)	)	)	)	)	);

my_row = dt << Get selected rows;
show( my_row );

Learning every day!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jthi
Super User

Re: Nested data filter row selection

Using fully customized filters could be fairly simple solution. This on other hand might not be even if it works (this one time)

Names Default To Here(1);

dt = Open("$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp");

dt << Data Filter(
	Location({2793, 233}),
	Conditional,
	Mode(Show(1), Include(1)),
	Add Filter(
		columns(:age, :name),
		Display(:age, N Items(6)),
		Display(:name, N Items(15), Find(Set Text("")))
	)
);

(Window("Data Filter for Big Class")["Data Filter",LineUpBox(2)]) << NCol(2);
(Window("Data Filter for Big Class")["Data Filter",LineUpRulerBox(1)]) << Widths({300,300});

Below are some modifications to your script using Filter Change Handler (state handlers can be very buggy and finicky in JMP, you have been warned :))

dt << clear row states;

Summarize(myage = By(:age));

//make a dialog window
nw = New Window("Sample",
	vlb1 = H List Box(
		lb1 = Border Box(
			obj1 = dt << Data Filter(Add Filter(columns(:age)), Display(:age, "Radio Box Display"), Mode(Select(1), Show(1), Include(1)))
		),
		lb2 = Border Box()
	)
);

// Creates list of names that are not excluded or hidden
f = function({a},
	Try(Summarize(myname = By(:name)));
	//here is the script that runs each time someone clicks in the top box
	//delete the current column list box, if it exists
	Try((lb2 << child) << delete box());

//append a new col list box, with all columns of the data table selected in the listbox
	lb2 << append(
		Panel Box("Select Script", sel1 = Radio Box(myname, Show(my_names = sel1 << Get Selected)))
	);
);

fch = obj1 << Make Filter Change Handler(f);
-Jarmo

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
StarfruitBob
Level VI

Here's an example of what I'm looking for, but I don't know how to get to the code, since it's an application.

When you have multiple data tables up:

Semiconductor Toolkit (link below) > Utilities (top right) > Attach Table Limits

You first click on the table you want to view columns for, then a second list is generated on the right of what columns are present in the data table you clicked on. This will dynamically update if you choose a new data table.

I've found something similar in the thread below, but am finding it difficult to translate this code into what I'm needing.

https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/How-to-Dynamically-List-Column-names-of-Selected-Data-Table...

Back to the original post:

1. Choice 1: if I click on "15", 7 rows in the dt are selected, the rest should be excluded and hidden.
    1. A secondary option is to use summarize( namelist = by( :name ) ), which will get me a list of unique names that aren't excluded or hidden, but without using radio box, this list will feed into Choice 2. I'm not sure how to make this dynamic.
  2. Choice 2 will dynamically update a name list based upon the age selected in choice 1.
  3. Once a selection in Choice 2 is made, only one row will be selected.

Let's say I select: Choice 1 = 15 & Choice 2 = Amy, then row 29 will be selected and I can use << Get selected rows to save this row number to a variable.

Semiconductor Toolkit add-in:
https://community.jmp.com/t5/JMP-Add-Ins/Semiconductor-Toolkit/ta-p/22460 

Learning every day!
StarfruitBob
Level VI

I have a feeling I'm close, I'm running into two problems now.

I've modified the solution code from the thread below further.

https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/How-to-Dynamically-List-Column-names-of-Selected-Data-Table...

Names Default To Here( 1 );

dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );

dt << clear row states;

Summarize( myage = By( :age ) );

//make a dialog window
nw = New Window( "Sample",
	vlb1 = H List Box(
		lb1 = Border Box(

obj1 = dt << Data Filter(
				Add Filter( columns( :age ) ),
				Display( :age, "Radio Box Display" ),
				Mode( Select( 1 ), Show( 1 ), Include( 1 ) )
			);
			Wait( 0 );

Try( namelist = Summarize( myname = By( :name ) ) );

Try( lb2 << delete );				

//append a new col list box, with all columns of the data table selected in the listbox
			vlb1 << append( lb2 = Border Box( Left( 10 ), Right( 10 ), bottom( 10 ), top( 10 ), sides( 15 ), // Col title
					Panel Box( "Select Script",
						sel1 = radio box( eval( namelist ), show( my_names = sel1 << Get Selected) )	)	 
					), all ) );
	) 
);

If you comment out all of vlb1, you get a small box that you can select from the different ages in Big Class. The other rows are excluded and hidden. 

Problems:

1. The second summarize, namelist, is not dynamically updating with different age selection. How can the script be updated to do this?
    1. The second Try() is from the solution code and is dynamic, so I'm not sure why the first one wouldn't be.
  2. JMP errors out when the vlb1 is uncommented, error picture below. I'm not sure where the deleted object reference is in this part of the code. Can anyone see it?

StarfruitBob_0-1674687944177.png

I think if these two can be solved, then I should be able to find some way to return a single row number.

Learning every day!
jthi
Super User

Using fully customized filters could be fairly simple solution. This on other hand might not be even if it works (this one time)

dt << Data Filter(
	Location({2793, 233}),
	Conditional,
	Mode(Show(1), Include(1)),
	Add Filter(
		columns(:age, :name),
		Display(:age, N Items(6)),
		Display(:name, N Items(15), Find(Set Text("")))
	)
);

(Window("Data Filter for Big Class")["Data Filter",LineUpBox(2)]) << NCol(2);
(Window("Data Filter for Big Class")["Data Filter",LineUpRulerBox(1)]) << Widths({300,300});

Below are some modifications to your script using Filter Change Handler (state handlers can be very buggy and finicky in JMP, you have been warned :))

dt << clear row states;

Summarize(myage = By(:age));

//make a dialog window
nw = New Window("Sample",
	vlb1 = H List Box(
		lb1 = Border Box(
			obj1 = dt << Data Filter(Add Filter(columns(:age)), Display(:age, "Radio Box Display"), Mode(Select(1), Show(1), Include(1)))
		),
		lb2 = Border Box()
	)
);

f = function({a},
	Try(Summarize(myname = By(:name)));
	Try((lb2 << child) << delete box());

lb2 << append(
		Panel Box("Select Script", sel1 = Radio Box(myname, Show(my_names = sel1 << Get Selected)))
	);
);

fch = obj1 << Make Filter Change Handler(f);
-Jarmo
StarfruitBob
Level VI

@jthi, thank you once again for your incredible help!  The answer was so simple, yet again ahaha.

I modified your first suggestion to suit my needs because I see what you mean by state handlers being buggy and finicky in JMP.

Learning every day!
jthi
Super User

I have made Wish List item regarding different state handlers in JMP Improve JMP's state handlers (hover label, row state handler, filter state handler, scheduler, ...) .

-Jarmo