cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

How do I plot multiple XY Series in one graph?

Dragging and dropping x and y values for multiple series data sets gives the following graph

DualGrizzly1028_0-1674774054810.png

I want to see only SeriesA Y vs SeriesA  X,

SeriesB Y vs SeriesB X

SeriesC Y vs SeriesC X

I do not want to see the curves for SeriesA Y vs SeriesB X   etc...

In excel i am able to do it by selecting the appropriate X and Y values.

DualGrizzly1028_1-1674774292282.png

Can you please help with this plotting?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: How do I plot multiple XY Series in one graph?

The problem is the structure of your data. You have an X variable and you have a Y variable. You also have another variable that indicates which series it is, either A or B. Thinking that way, you see that your data needs to be structured differently. You need to stack the X and Y variables. 

I made a sample dataset to mimic your situation (attached) with random data except for the X-axis. The data table has four columns, SeriesA X, SeriesA Y, SeriesB X, and SeriesB Y. I only put in series A and B, but you could extend to series C if needed. I then went to Tables > Stack Columns and completed the dialog as follows:

Dan_Obermiller_0-1674777275777.png

This will give me a table that has 4 columns (Group, X, Group 2, and X 2). You can rename the X 2 column to be Y, if you want as it does contain the Y values. Now go to Graph Builder. Drag X 2 (or Y if you renamed it) to the Y-axis. Drag X to the X-axis. Drag Group to the Overlay area. You might want to do some clean up as the Group column will say SeriesA X and SeriesB X when it really only needs to be an A or a B, but I think this is the picture that you are looking for. This final data table with a script for the graph is also attached.

Dan_Obermiller_3-1674777712441.png

Dan Obermiller
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Stacking the data, as @Dan_Obermiller suggests is one way to make this easy and may be the best way to have your data arranged for other analyses, but you can get the graph you want without rearranging the data.

Instead, just as with Excel you can change the variables used for the individual elements (points and spline in this case) using the elements panel on the left of the graph. Just open the Variables section and pick which variables you want to use for each element.

2023-01-26_19-51-55.331.png

Then you can add another spline and another points element by right-clicking in the graph and set them to the next series.

Add elements with a right-clickAdd elements with a right-click

Change the variables for the new elementsChange the variables for the new elements

-Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for the response. 

I tried both your solution and the one provided by Dan.

Both methods works as expected.

-Rahul

Dan,

Thank you for the quick response. 

The solution you provided work's as expected.