cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Moving Range Chart UCL calculation in JMP8

The Moving Range UCL calculation is given in text books as UCL=D4(MRavg) with D4=3.267. When I set the JMP control chart IR at 3 Ksigma the UCL for the MR agrees with the calculation above. When I set the JMP control chart IR at 3.5 Ksigma I get a different UCL for the Moving Range chart. I understand the manual calculation for the accompanying Individuals Chart for 3.5 Ksigma (UCL=Xavg +/-3.5xMRavg/1.128) but what is the manual calculation behind the MR UCL for 3.5 Ksigma. I can't figure it out based on the different limits using 3 and 3.5 Ksigma. I need to know this for validation reasons. Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
mpb
mpb
Level VII

Re: Moving Range Chart UCL calculation in JMP8

D4 = 1 + k*d3 / d2 where d2 and d3 are unbiasing constants, dependent on sample size used to calculate the range. D4 is often tabled for k=3. For other values you can use the formula provided you have values for d2 and d3. For a moving range based on 2 samples, d2 = 1.128 (as you already know), and d3 = 0.8525. If you calculate D4 using these values and k=3.5 your calculated moving range UCL will agree with JMP.

Re: Moving Range Chart UCL calculation in JMP8

Thank you very much for this! I could not find this information anywhere! Much appreciated!