cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
xiaoyaj0
Level III

Mediation test in JMP?

Could anybody help me with procedures to do mediation test in JMP?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LauraCS
Staff

Re: Mediation test in JMP?

@xiaoyaj0 @ron_horne @manny_uy I'm excited to share that one of our summer interns, @haleyyaremych, worked on a JMP Pro add-in for fitting and visualizing moderation and moderated mediation models.

You can learn more about the functionality in this great blog post:

https://community.jmp.com/t5/JMPer-Cable/Who-what-why-and-how-Tools-for-modeling-and-visualizing/ba-... 

And you can download it here: https://community.jmp.com/t5/JMP-Add-Ins/Moderation-and-Mediation-Add-In/ta-p/527203 

Here's a preview of the interactive Johnson-Neyman plot she created that makes understanding interaction effects very intuitive!

JMP_J-N_Graphlets.gif

The add-in doesn't cover all the PROCESS macro models but has some of the most popular ones.

HTH,

~Laura

Laura C-S

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Peter_Bartell
Level VIII

I'm not sure what you mean by "Mediation test". But in the Fit Y by X platform, from the report hot spot, the Nonparametric dropdown offers a median test.

Here's the link to the JMP online documentation for more details:

Nonparametric

ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

hi peter.bartell@jmp.com​,

I would also be curious to know if anyone has attempted to address this in JMP.

my guess is xiaoyaj0​ is looking for a mediation test under this definition: Mediation (statistics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the most advanced technique at the moment is perhaps the one offered by Andrew Hayes in this link: The PROCESS macro for SPSS and SAS - PROCESS macro for SPSS and SAS

Ron

Peter_Bartell
Level VIII

Interesting approach. While there isn't a what I'll call direct path to this general method within JMP...I could envision someone replicating the process to some degree using JMP Pro. I could envision using many different modeling approaches in JMP Pro such as the Bootstrap Forest or Generalized Regression for fitting multiple models with and without the mediator and direct terms. Then using the Model Comparison platform for evaluating model performance.

xiaoyaj0
Level III

That is exactly what I mean by mediation. Is PROCESS MACRO compatabile with JMP? 

And does anybody know how to do Moderation test in JMP?

Thank you!

manny_uy
Level III

Having just recently taught statistics in the Psychology Department, I became aware of their frequent use of the terms moderation and mediation. Moderation appears to be just another term for two-factor interactions. However, mediation is quite different. It is defined as a situation when the relationship between a predictor variable and outcome variable can be explained by their relationship to a third variable (the mediator)..I was able to "salvage" a little bit of my ego by using SPSS, as was suggested previously. 

I wonder if JMP might add these two terms into the JMP vocabulary and possibly increase its usage by those in the psychology and maybe even medical fields?

What does the mediation model look like?

LauraCS
Staff

@xiaoyaj0 @ron_horne @manny_uy I'm excited to share that one of our summer interns, @haleyyaremych, worked on a JMP Pro add-in for fitting and visualizing moderation and moderated mediation models.

You can learn more about the functionality in this great blog post:

https://community.jmp.com/t5/JMPer-Cable/Who-what-why-and-how-Tools-for-modeling-and-visualizing/ba-... 

And you can download it here: https://community.jmp.com/t5/JMP-Add-Ins/Moderation-and-Mediation-Add-In/ta-p/527203 

Here's a preview of the interactive Johnson-Neyman plot she created that makes understanding interaction effects very intuitive!

JMP_J-N_Graphlets.gif

The add-in doesn't cover all the PROCESS macro models but has some of the most popular ones.

HTH,

~Laura

Laura C-S
xiaoyaj0
Level III

Process Macro seems to be the solution. Can I use it with JMP?

A more general question: Can I use SAS code with JMP? How does the conversion look like? I never used SAS, yet I kind of know that SAS is capable of things JMP cannot do. 

Thank you. 

It's definitely not a mediation test, but you might try Neural Networks.  This paper out of Vanderbilt (link) discusses some of the similarities and differences between the techniques.  I'm not going to say its a perfect fit, but it may help answer the question.  Particularly with the control over the Neural Net provided in JMP Pro.

Best,

M