cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

Just love it when R2 comes out negative

Hi all,

Does anyone know what JMP does in the bivariate fit platform when calculating the “fit measured on original scale”? I just got a negative R2. Does it estimate a model without the intercept?

I know the data is peculiar and when using the log-log transformation I have many missing observations but still, something must be going on....

11843_fit Duration, distance and speed.png

Attached is the data table with a script to reproduce the results I got.

Thanks,

Ron

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jiancao
Staff

Re: Just love it when R2 comes out negative

Two modes, one fit to the original data and the other to the log-log transformed data, are different models. Anti-logs won't make summary of fit statistics from the log linear model identical to the results from the original linear fit.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
jiancao
Staff

Your R Square is actually positive, but it is close to zero. When this happens, adjusted R square maybe slightly negative.  This is how adjusted R square formula is built to work. In fact, if R Square is <k/(n-1) , R Square Adj will be negative.

In your case, a negative R Square Adj. will occur when R Square <0.0013568. What a negative R square Adj. means is that the model terms do not help predict the response.

Does it estimate a model without the intercept?

No,  it includes an intercept by default.

I would add that what a negative R Square Adj means is that the portion of variability of the predictors do not help predict the expected response. Thus, the R Square should not be used exclusively as the iron-fist to judge a model's anticipated performance. But it is also good for the R Square and the associated R Square Adj. to be positive.

Jenkins Macedo
ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

thanks for the comment jiancao

I must be missing something. where exactly does it say adjusted in the output?

jiancao
Staff

R Square Adj is the original R^2 adjusted for # of model terms in regression

11871_pastedImage_1.png

ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

sorry for the misunderstanding. i was referring to the R2 marked below.

11873_fit Duration, distance and speed2.png

jiancao
Staff

My apologies for missing the Fit Measured on Original Scale report. The attached table show where a negative R Square came from in this case. I saved the column Residuals Speed from the model fit (Notice that that it is calculated by taking Exp to back transform to the original scale). Then I calculated two Sum of Squares columns: SS of Total (SST) and SS of Error (SSE), for the R Square formula used by JMP, which is 1- SSE/SST=1- 164569257/115933657=-0.41951234.  So, the back transformation gives rise to a negative R Square. 

ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

Thank you jiancao​,

that did reproduce the negative figure. yet i would expect the figure to be identical to the outcome of fitting a line to the same data as in the picture.

but if i just run this with a fit line i do not get the same R2.

11874_pastedImage_0.png

jiancao
Staff

Two modes, one fit to the original data and the other to the log-log transformed data, are different models. Anti-logs won't make summary of fit statistics from the log linear model identical to the results from the original linear fit.

ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

I see, so how can i make use of the anti-log results? what are they comparable to?