cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

Just love it when R2 comes out negative

Hi all,

Does anyone know what JMP does in the bivariate fit platform when calculating the “fit measured on original scale”? I just got a negative R2. Does it estimate a model without the intercept?

I know the data is peculiar and when using the log-log transformation I have many missing observations but still, something must be going on....

11843_fit Duration, distance and speed.png

Attached is the data table with a script to reproduce the results I got.

Thanks,

Ron

14 REPLIES 14
jiancao
Staff

Re: Just love it when R2 comes out negative

Unfortunately their usefulness and comparability is limited IMHO. 

Additional note--if you want to make predictions on the original scale from a log linear model , then anti log is necessary. However, you would also need to apply an adjustment by adding s2/2, i.e., y* = exp[log(y*) + (s2/2)]. This blog post explains why: Econometrics Beat: Dave Giles' Blog: Forecasting From Log-Linear Regressions.

ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

Thank you very much, this is all relevant and interesting.

ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

in this case i would like to ask whether you know if JMP uses this correction (or any other) when asking predicted values from the fit model platform (after transforming on the fly)? what about the prediction profiler?

jiancao
Staff

Only in Bivariate/Fit Special in Fit Y by X will JMP back transform the predicted values to the original scale, but it doesn't make adjustment with the anti-log transformation as referenced in the above-mentioned literature.  When you use a transformed response with Fit Model or Fit Y by X (except Fit Special) the prediction is made on the transformed response, so does the Prediction Profiler.

ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

thanks for he clarification.