cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
inqmnd
Level I

JSL split function keep column name in header when splitting a single column

Hi all,

I have a section of jsl code which takes my data table and splits a variable amount of columns (code attached below).

//Variable Table splitting operation
dt_split = new << Split(
Split By( :SamplePos, :File ID ),
Split( Eval List( EmitCols ) ), //Here is the line where I choose a variable amount of columns within the data table to split
Group(:Cycles),
Output Table( "Split_Table" ),
Remaining Columns( keep all ),
Sort by Column Property

When the columns specified within EmitCols are greater than 1 it returns a data table where the new columns are annotated with the name of each column specified within EmitCols, however when there is only 1 column within EmitCols it omits annotating the new columns with the name. Is there an attribute within the split() function where I can keep the annotations when only splitting out by 1 column? If not, is there a way to over ride this behavior?   

Edit: I have tried searching the scripting index and so far I could not find any attribute of split which allows me to do that. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Byron_JMP
Staff

Re: JSL split function keep column name in header when splitting a single column

Ok, so I can see what's going on, and I can see why it was developed that way, and also, I can't see a simple way around it.  So here's a brute force method, in the least elegant way possible.

dt<<new column("blank");
insert into (EmitCols, :blank)   //or some how get :blank into that split list

//do your split here
dt=current data table();
clist=dt<<get column names();
del={};
for (i=1, i<=nitems(clist), i++,
if(contains(clist[i], "blank")>1,insert into(del, clist[i]));
);
dt << Select Columns( del );
dt << Delete Columns();
JMP Systems Engineer, Health and Life Sciences (Pharma)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Byron_JMP
Staff

Re: JSL split function keep column name in header when splitting a single column

Ok, so I can see what's going on, and I can see why it was developed that way, and also, I can't see a simple way around it.  So here's a brute force method, in the least elegant way possible.

dt<<new column("blank");
insert into (EmitCols, :blank)   //or some how get :blank into that split list

//do your split here
dt=current data table();
clist=dt<<get column names();
del={};
for (i=1, i<=nitems(clist), i++,
if(contains(clist[i], "blank")>1,insert into(del, clist[i]));
);
dt << Select Columns( del );
dt << Delete Columns();
JMP Systems Engineer, Health and Life Sciences (Pharma)