Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Georg
Level VII

JMP automatically executes jsl-script on double-click in explorer

Dear all,

since a few weeks I observed strange behaviour of my JMP Pro 16.1.0 on Win10.

When I double click in Explorer on a script file, it is automatically executed (and not opened for editing as I would expect, and as it is true for other installations I know).

This is although there is no "//!" in the first line, that would tell JMP to execute it on open.

Also a "reset associations" in preferences did not change. As the screenshot shows, the icon for jsl is different from the one I see in the JMP main window, recent files. When double.clicking on the same file in recent files, the file is opened correctly for editing.

Any idea how to change this behaviour, i.e. only open file for edit on double-click in Explorer?

Georg_0-1638952533988.png

Georg
5 REPLIES 5
jthi
Super User

Re: JMP automatically executes jsl-script on double-click in explorer

There is the option on Preferences / Windows Specific / JSL Scripts should be run only... but I would guess it isn't the issue here.

At some point I started having the same behavior with JMP14 or 15 and since then I have opened my .jsl files with Ctrl held down, either by double-clicking (might be a bit difficult) or drag and dropping the script files to JMP and haven't bothered to try and fix it.

-Jarmo
Georg
Level VII

Thanks @jthi , and no, it is deactivated:

Georg_0-1638984832105.png

Georg
AW
AW
Level II

I am experiencing the same issue.

jthi
Super User

This isn't new issue, here are at least two similar posts from community:

JSL file runs when open instead of opening in editor 
Open JMP scripts in Windows Explorer without executing them 

My way of handling it at the moment is using "hold down ctrl when opening file" which will bypass even //! in the start of script. @Jeff_Perkinson any idea if this issue has been logged somewhere and are there any workarounds (reinstalling JMP?).

I can also contact JMP Support tomorrow regarding this:

1. JSL Scripts are ran on open even when the file doesn't start with //! and JSL Scripts should be run only... option is unchecked
  2. .jsl files icon seems to change, when this problem starts to occur
  3. Current workarounds are to open .jsl files with CTRL held down, which will bypass the run on open or open file from JMP Open file.
-Jarmo
ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

I got the following back from JMP support for the same issue.  In my case for at least one machine, here are the steps I took:

• Opened JMP as Admin
  • Enabled the settting (it as cleared/unchecked) and closed preferences
  • Opened a file, I did not experience the issue
  • Opened a second file, I did experience the issue
  • Disabled the setting and closed preferences
  • The issue was resolved 

From JMP Support:

- Close JMP

- Right-click the JMP icon and select "Run as Administrator"

- Navigate to File -> Preferences -> Windows Specific

- There's a checkbox for "JSL script should be run only..." If it is checked, un-check it. If it is now checked, check it.  Click OK and then try to open a script.