cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
poulravn
Level IV

JSL file runs when open instead of opening in editor

Hi, I recently ran into the opposite problem: When I click a jsl-file in a folder, JMP immediately start ot execute it. I note that there is mentioned in this string the special effect of //! in the beginning of the script. This should force the script to execute, as the more obvious 'On Open' command.

Do you know of any more obscure controllng characters that will affect the behavior of JMP when opening scripts?

The script in question, which opens immediately DOES have a lot of comments with all kinds of special characters in them, including !. But I do not see //! start the script.

Kind regards

Poul Ravn Sørensen

6 REPLIES 6
ivan_j_moore
Level III

Re: JSL file runs when open instead of opening in editor

Hi,

Wondering have you this box checked within JMP preferences?

This probably runs the scripts automatically.

Capture.JPG

poulravn
Level IV

Hi Ivan, no, I do not have this check box marked. I did note, that it was mentioned previously, so I've checked, but the check box is un-marked. The strange thing is, that the icons of the *.jsl files, when viewed from Explorer, is dissimilar from the icon seen from inside JMP. I do not quite remember, but I thing the icon is the that for an JMP-addin. It would make sense then that JMP starts the application immediately.

Another post recommends to reset ALL associations, but I have not tried that yet.

Thanks for the answer.

Poul Ravn Sørensen

ivan_j_moore
Level III

Hi Poul Ravn Sørensen,

You are getting an icon like one of these ?

add-in.JPG

These also run auto for me.

My scripts icons which I can open without running auto look like this:

script.JPG

When you have the script open, could you try and resave it as the following, (You probably done this already).

save.JPG

Hope this helps.

Ivan

poulravn
Level IV

Right, I see the icon as 'BA_ALL...', not as the ones with keys. Will try your suggestions. Thanks.

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

The icon for BA_ALL... is the source file for a JMP Application, saved from the Application Builder. If the application includes some JMP reports based on a given data table then that table and those reports will be run automatically when the source file is opened.

That sounds like it may be what's happening here.

@cwillden  posted a Gentle Introduction to Application Builder which may help you also. 

-Jeff
uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

@Jeff_Perkinson , 
      I have lately noticed that this happens to me as well in JMP 14. The files are neither applications nor do I have the selection in preferences to run files upon opening. The only way I can avoid JMP from doing this is by opening the script from File > Open interface. 

Best
Uday