Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
Lou_A
Community Trekker

How to limit factor combinations in DOE

Hello all ... first time poster here. Thanks in advance!

I am using JMP Genomics 8.1 and trying to setup a DOE for a testing a medical device on a subject. The main categorical factors are body side (left, right), muscle group (M1, M2, M3), and device version (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6). For each subject, there are two body sides and three muscle groups, so there are 6 device test sites per subject. The Result is a continuous variable that we want to maximize. My experimental "budget" will limit me to a maximum of 10 subjects. My goal is to randomize/balance the device version testing across the test sites and subjects.

My problem is that I cannot seem to figure out how to limit the combinations such that each subject is only tested with a single device at each site. For example, body site "left M1" can only be used with a single random device type for each subject.

I hoping to find a solution that doesn't require scripting but rather relies on the JMP UI.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
KarenC
Super User

Re: How to limit factor combinations in DOE

A Balanced Incomplete Block Design or BIBD might be what you are looking for to set up your study.  The abiltiy to create such a design was added to JMP 14.  See Ryan L's material at 

https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discovery-Summit-Europe-2018/New-DOE-Features-in-JMP-nbsp-14-nbsp-EU-20...

for some background.  Hopefully this helps you move in the right direction. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Lou_A
Community Trekker

Thanks Karen. I think this is indeed what I need. Unfortunately, JMP Genomics 8.1 does not run JMP 14 under the hood, so to speak ...

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @Lou_A,

Ya JMP Genomics 8 comes with JMP 12 and JMP Genomics 9 (released last year) comes with JMP 13. You would have to use a separate copy of JMP 14 or wait until JMP Genomics 10 to get that DOE functionality built in.

Best,

Chris

Chris Kirchberg
Principal Systems Engineer, Life Sciences - JMP Global Technical Enablement
SAS Institute, Inc. - Denver, CO
Tel: +1-919-531-9927 ▪ Mobile: +1-303-378-7419 ▪ E-mail: chris.kirchberg@jmp.com
JMP – A Division of SAS Institute | www.jmp.com
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Another thought, download a trial version of JMP 14 (https://www.jmp.com/en_us/download-jmp-free-trial.html) and see if that will work for you. Its worth a try to see if this type of DOE will work for you.  If it does,  check to see if your organization already has JMP 14 and get a copy.

Chris Kirchberg
Tel: +1-919-531-9927 ▪ Mobile: +1-303-378-7419 ▪ E-mail: chris.kirchberg@jmp.com
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Lou_A
Community Trekker

Chris,

Do you know the timeline for JMP Genomics 10?

Also, is there somewhere that I can find a compare/contrast of JMP Genomics 8 and 9?

Thanks!

Lou

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Lou,

I am not sure of the time line for JMP Genomics 10, but I will check.  Here is a link for what is new in JMP Genomics 9:

https://www.jmp.com/content/dam/jmp/documents/en/support/jmpg90/releasenotes-jmpgenomics-90.pdf

Chris

Chris Kirchberg