cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Aziza
Level IV

How to customize Paper Size in Page Setup to generate pdf plots for Beamer slides?

Hi, 

I am trying to customize the page setup and change the paper size to save the Graph Builder output as PDF plots for using them in Beamer Slides. The size of a Beamer slide is 128mm by 96mm. I failed to use the function set page setup, since I think one can use only the sizes which are already specified. 

Are there any thoughts on how I could proceed this step?

Many thanks! 

Greetings
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: How to customize Paper Size in Page Setup to generate pdf plots for Beamer slides?

Hi @Aziza,

Are you using a Mac or Windows computer?

If on a mac, you can add a custom paper size after going to File > Page Setup right inside jmp. Click on the Paper Size drop-down list, and select Manage Custom Sizes:Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 9.15.50 AM.png

On a Windows machine the process is a little bit more complicated. Open the Devices and Printers control panel app, select your printer/device (I'm guessing you're using an Adobe PDF renderer or another print-to-pdf device), then select Print Server Properties in the menu bar. Once there, check the box for Create New Form, and you can enter your dimensions. 

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 9.21.39 AM.png

View solution in original post

julian

Re: How to customize Paper Size in Page Setup to generate pdf plots for Beamer slides?

Hi @Aziza,

I'm glad you were able to create the new paper size! What is "obj" in this situation? Journals and reports can receive a Set Page Setup message, so if you have the result of a platform call as "obj" you will need to wrap it in Report() to send the message to the report layer.

Additionally, as I understand it, Set Page Setup() refers to the settings used when using <<Save PDF.  So, your changes won't be reflected in File > Page Setup, but will be used when using << Save PDF. Here's an example of the workflow:

Open("$SAMPLE_DATA\Big Class.jmp");

//Create some output
obj = Distribution( Column( :height ));

//Set the page settings for the report containing the distribution output
report(obj) << Set page setup(margins( 0.2, 0.4, 0, 0 ),scale( 0.75),portrait( 0 ), paper size( "Beamer" ));

//To view the settings use Get Page Setup()
//report(obj) << Get Page Setup

//Save the PDF
report(obj) << Save PDF( "$DOCUMENTS\example.pdf" );

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
julian

Hi @Aziza,

Are you using a Mac or Windows computer?

If on a mac, you can add a custom paper size after going to File > Page Setup right inside jmp. Click on the Paper Size drop-down list, and select Manage Custom Sizes:Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 9.15.50 AM.png

On a Windows machine the process is a little bit more complicated. Open the Devices and Printers control panel app, select your printer/device (I'm guessing you're using an Adobe PDF renderer or another print-to-pdf device), then select Print Server Properties in the menu bar. Once there, check the box for Create New Form, and you can enter your dimensions. 

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 9.21.39 AM.png

Aziza
Level IV

Hi @julian , thank you for your help. I am a Windows user. I was able to create a "Beamer" form following your instructions. It was not obvious, since I am using Windows 10. Anyway, I can now choose it manually and set it up from the File Menu. The script is not responding though, when I use "Beamer". Do you know what am I doing wrong? Thank you. 

obj<< Set page setup(margins( 0.2, 0.4, 0, 0 ),scale( 0.75),portrait( 0 ), paper size( "Beamer" ));
Greetings
julian

Hi @Aziza,

I'm glad you were able to create the new paper size! What is "obj" in this situation? Journals and reports can receive a Set Page Setup message, so if you have the result of a platform call as "obj" you will need to wrap it in Report() to send the message to the report layer.

Additionally, as I understand it, Set Page Setup() refers to the settings used when using <<Save PDF.  So, your changes won't be reflected in File > Page Setup, but will be used when using << Save PDF. Here's an example of the workflow:

Open("$SAMPLE_DATA\Big Class.jmp");

//Create some output
obj = Distribution( Column( :height ));

//Set the page settings for the report containing the distribution output
report(obj) << Set page setup(margins( 0.2, 0.4, 0, 0 ),scale( 0.75),portrait( 0 ), paper size( "Beamer" ));

//To view the settings use Get Page Setup()
//report(obj) << Get Page Setup

//Save the PDF
report(obj) << Save PDF( "$DOCUMENTS\example.pdf" );
Aziza
Level IV

Thank you, @julian, it worked fine! I learned smth new again!!! :D 

Greetings