cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Bojana
Level II

How to add value label to points?

Hi,

I am a new user of JMP 14.

How can I add  to each data point its own value.

I have 2 columns (numerical) on y-axis and 1 column nominal on x-axis. Each point has one value.

I need to add Y values to the points.

Thanks a lot for help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to add value label to points?

I should add one more thing. It looks like you might have your blue dots in one column and your red dots in a different column. That would cause the "double labeling" to appear. 

If that is the case, STACK those two columns so that all of the percentage values appear in a single column. This will also add another column that will identify which value it is, either red or blue. Use that red/blue column as a color for the points. That will also have the benefit of giving you the single label for a point rather than two labels.

Dan Obermiller

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ian_jmp
Staff

The best way may depend on which JMP Platform you want to use, and if you choose to do it 'by hand' or programmatically via the scripting language, JSL

I would start by understanding how to label data by rows and columns, and also how hover labels work. Using this approach, you can quickly get, for instance:

Screenshot 2020-03-04 at 17.58.45.png

This may or may not be exactly what you want.

Bojana
Level II

Hi Ian,

Thank you for your reply. I have tried these suggestions before. Unfortunately, I did not manage to solve my issue. I would need next to blue dit only 84,58 and next to red square 53,2. So the real values of these dots. Do you maybe know how could I get this?

Bojana_0-1583356235490.png

Make your Y variable a label column. When you click on the point, that value will appear. If you want the value to always be there, click the point and choose Rows > Label.

Look at the Label Rows and Columns section from JMP Help.

Dan Obermiller
Bojana
Level II

Hey Dan, 

Thanks a lot. Stack and label color, helped me to get the graph as I needed.

BR

Bojana

I should add one more thing. It looks like you might have your blue dots in one column and your red dots in a different column. That would cause the "double labeling" to appear. 

If that is the case, STACK those two columns so that all of the percentage values appear in a single column. This will also add another column that will identify which value it is, either red or blue. Use that red/blue column as a color for the points. That will also have the benefit of giving you the single label for a point rather than two labels.

Dan Obermiller