cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Thierry_S
Super User

Graph Builder > Bar Graph > Change Y Axis Origin?

Hi JMP Community,

In Graph Builder, is it possible to modify the origin of the bars in a Bar graph so that the all bars start at the lowest value of Y instead of starting at 0?

Thanks for your help.

Best,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Graph Builder > Bar Graph > Change Y Axis Origin?

Make a new column with the minimum value. Drag this column along with the original data column to the Y drop zone. Drag the categorical column to the X drop zone. Change the bar type to Range in the properties list.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Yes, you can change the minimum of a bar chart in graph builder.

Double-click the axis and specify the new minimum. 

Capture.JPG

Dan Obermiller
Thierry_S
Super User

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply but this is not what I'm looking for (sorry if I was not clear). I know how to change the Y Axis scale but I don't know how to change the origin/base of the bars in a bar graph. By default, all the bars have an origin set to 0 and the bars have opposite directions depending on whether the data is positive or negative: is it possible to change the bar behavior so that all bars "start" at the lowest value of the data range?
Thanks,
TS
Thierry R. Sornasse

Make a new column with the minimum value. Drag this column along with the original data column to the Y drop zone. Drag the categorical column to the X drop zone. Change the bar type to Range in the properties list.