BookmarkSubscribe
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Ksrzg01
Community Trekker

Gathering the cumulative sum from evaluated column

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to create a column which evaluates it's previous row and adds the zscore to it and then takes the maximum between this evaluation and 0. I've tried moving the lag formula around the Cumulative Sum equation but have not had any luck. It is only taking the value of zscore regardless of the previous row. Any help on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated!

dt = Open("Big Class.jmp");

dt << New Column( "zscore", Formula((:weight - Col Mean( :weight, :sex )) / Col Std Dev( :weight, :sex )));

dt << Sort( By( :sex), Order( Ascending), Replace Table );

dt << New Column( "S_Hi", Formula( If( :sex == Lag( :sex ), Max( 0, :zscore + Lag( Col Cumulative Sum( :S_Hi ) ) ), Max( 0, :zscore ) ) ) )

0 Kudos
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Gathering the cumulative sum from evaluated column

I think that Jim's solution is based on your original script but I don't think you want to use a separate cumulative sum. The following script is not correct because I am still not quite sure what you want but it is simpler and perhaps closer to the real solution:

Names Default To Here( 1 );
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/big class.jmp" );

dt << Sort( By( :sex ), Order( Ascending ), Replace Table );

dt << New Column( "Z Score", Formula( (:weight - Col Mean( :weight, :sex )) / Col Std Dev( :weight, :sex ) ) );

dt << New Column( "S_Hi",
	Formula( If( :sex == Lag( :sex ), Max( 0, :zscore + Lag( :S_Hi ) ), Max( 0, :zscore ) ) )
);
Learn it once, use it forever!
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
txnelson
Super User

Here is how I would approach this

dt << New Column( "zscore",
	Formula( (:weight - Col Mean( :weight, :sex )) / Col Std Dev( :weight, :sex ) )
);

Formula(
		If(row()==1,cum=0);
		If( :sex == Lag( :sex ),
			x=Max( 0, :zscore + cum ),
			x=Max( 0, :zscore )
		);
		cum=cum+x;
		x;
	)
);
Jim
0 Kudos
Ksrzg01
Community Trekker

Thanks for the help Nelson, but unfortunately the Max value never kicks in. When applied, the 40th row is alread a 5E+10 value. In essense I just want to get the sum of all previous values in the column and add them to the zscore at that row. 

0 Kudos

I think that Jim's solution is based on your original script but I don't think you want to use a separate cumulative sum. The following script is not correct because I am still not quite sure what you want but it is simpler and perhaps closer to the real solution:

dt << New Column( "Z Score", Formula( (:weight - Col Mean( :weight, :sex )) / Col Std Dev( :weight, :sex ) ) );

Formula( If( :sex == Lag( :sex ), Max( 0, :zscore + Lag( :S_Hi ) ), Max( 0, :zscore ) ) )
);
Learn it once, use it forever!
0 Kudos
Ksrzg01
Community Trekker

Hey Mark, this worked out perfectly. Thanks for the feedback!

0 Kudos